Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2014 15:00

Missing RSG mailbox recover option in NMM 2.3 running exchange 2003

Hi,

Here is what we are running.

Exchange server 2003 on Windows server 2003 R2 SP2 with Networker client 7.6.5.2 and NMM 2.3

Networker server version 8.1.1.5 on Windows server 2008 R2

We have been backup the Application: Microsoft Exchange writer. However, When I launched NMM 2.3,and select "Recover/Exchange recover session" from the left hand side menu, it showed "Logs, Mailbox store and Public folder store" on the right hand side. I do not see any option to restore RSG mailbox or folder. Does anyone know how am I able to restore a folder in a user mailbox?

Also, when I check the Mailbox store and click "Recover...." button. It will pop up a windows and I can click the "Start recover" button. What does it really do if I click "Start recover" button? Is it going to overwrite my existing Exchange database and recover the whole Exchange database for Mailbox store and Public folder store?   I read the NW document it said Exchange 2003 backup with Exchange writer will be able to restore a mailbox but I could not able to see such option to do it.

Any advice is very appreciated.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2014 00:00

Have you restored the required SG into the RSG yet ?

7 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 10:00

Hi,

No, What is the required SG?  I just learned that I need to create RSG in Exchange 2003 first. But how to create RSG in Exchange 2003? I read the NMM 2.3 application in page 139 for creating RSG and add target to database.  It said for Exchange 2007? and asking to go to start menu to launch Exchange management shell which I was not able to find from my Exchange 2003. Is there other way I could create RSG and add target to database?

117 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 23:00

In Exch2003 you will have to prepare the RSG using Exchange management tools and you also will have to assign the desired MB database to it prior to start NMM GUI and begin with the restore.

I would suggest to use Exch2003 System Manager GUI instead of powersehll.

The commands given in NMM application guide may be good for Exch2007 but may be incorrect for Exch2003.

I've never tested them in that way.

When within the recover process there is no specific step to separate the restore into a RSG recovery or a desaster recovery to the original database. The Exchange server will know automatically as long as the preparation of RSG is correct.

But be ensured that you are not able/allowed to overwrite an existing productive MB db without setting the option "can be overwritten by restore" manually. This will not be the case for any of your productive DBs unless you did it intentionally. The only DB with this flag set will be the prepared RSG.

Please be aware that the flag will be reset if the database is mounted once.

If you have to repeate the restore you may use the same prepared RSG (for the same db of course) but ill have to set the flag manually again.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2014 01:00

If you are not the Exchange admin, i would suggest you to approach the engineer who manages your Exchange server to create a RSG for the storage group that houses the requested mailbox. Once that is done recover the storage group to the recovery Storage Group (RSG). Once this restore is completed then you will be able to browse the contents of the RSG.

7 Posts

July 3rd, 2014 11:00

Thanks everyone .....

That's what I am planning to do from Exchange system manager GUI to create RSG and I found this URL http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH29719  From the URL in steps 1 to 6 in first session "To create a Recovery Storage Group".    In step 5 and 6, what database it is refering to add to RSG for recover?  We have only two stores... Mailbox store and Public folder store.  In that case, are they refering to adding Mailbox store to the RSG?  If I understand correctly, I will start NMM to run recovery mailbox after I add create RSG and add our first Mailbox store to RSG?

Thanks.

1.7K Posts

July 7th, 2014 05:00

Hi,

You need to add the Mailbox Store, as Public Folder is not supported for RSG.

Once you add the MB store into the RSG, you are ready to go; open NMM GUI and start the recover process.

Thank you,

Carlos.

P.S.: Make sure that the RSG has the "overwrite by restore" option enabled.

No Events found!