Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2010 07:00

Moving clients from one networker server to another

Hi all,

Currently, we have 1 Networker server, with 4 storage nodes.

We have about 500 clients, and that's about 6000 save sets and 10TB of data we take into backup each day.

We now want to introduce a second Networker server, to spread the load a little bit over these 2 networker servers.

What is the best way to move clients from 1 networker server to another?

I guess the best way to create clients on the second networker server is, by making sure that the client-id is the same as on the original server.

But how do you get the old backups and indexes from the 1st networker server to the second networker server?

Kind regards

736 Posts

August 3rd, 2010 02:00

Hi,

This article explains what you need to do:

How to move a NetWorker client to a different server

http://solutions.emc.com/EMCSolutionView.asp?id=esg63354&usertype=C

Also, you might want to check out the Performance Optimisation Guide which details some sizing parameters you need to keep in mind and some tests you can run to analyse what is affecting your server performance.

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-009-448.pdf?

-Bobby

4 Posts

July 30th, 2010 07:00

i prefer to add storage nodes to scale, since it is not quite so easy to move backups between 2 backup servers (and thus different datazones). Why is your backup server overloaded? try to shift load from that backup server to a (new) storage node.

You can also opt not to do any backups to the backup server(expect it's own ofcourse); this could drastically reduce the load on your backup server by relegating it role just to schedule & track metadata of all backups (so not to fuzz around with terabytes of actual data on the backup server.)

René

63 Posts

August 1st, 2010 23:00

Hello Rene,

We already have 4 storage nodes, and we are not taking backups to the backup server itself, only to the storage nodes.

But with more and more clients, and thus more and more savesets, the media database, jobsdb, ... are all growing, and it seems this is starting to give problems.

We already lowered the retention of the jobsdbd to 3 days, and a maximum size of 60MB, but we see that it has a size of 200-300MB just to keep info for 3 days.

Also several mminfo's are taking an very long time to finish, and while running such mminfo querry's, the NMC has trouble loading it's info.

63 Posts

August 4th, 2010 00:00

Hello Bobby,

That was exactly what I was looking for.

Too bad there is not an easy way to move the current backups to the new server. We are working with adv_file devices on datadomain.

So I guess we'll have to move all the backups of those clients to a specific device, and mount that device on the new server, and do a complete scanner of that device.

We also got that tuning guide from our support. And applied all the settings and recomandations.

Kind regards

August 29th, 2016 12:00

Could you please let me know what process requires to be done if I add new storage nodes? How do I make sure those are being used? How is the migration done?

2.4K Posts

August 29th, 2016 15:00

If this is a new client/storage node ...

- Install the NW client and storage node software

- Prepare its /nsr/res/servers file appropriately

If it has changed, restart the NW client service/daemon

- Define the client in your data zone

- Define at least one remote device at that client

- Add the appropriate license(s)

If this is an existing client ...

- Install/promote the NW client by installing the storage node software

- Verify the /nsr/res/servers file

If it has changed, restart the NW client service/daemon

- Define at least one remote device at that client

- Add the appropriate license(s)

Finally, do not forget

- to define additional pools (if required)

- label new media to that pool

- Adjust the client resources (storage node list) for the clients which shall use the storage node appropriately

August 29th, 2016 17:00

Thank you for the answer.can I move a device currently being used by another storage node to this storage node without losing data on the device? I know that relabeling will cause data loss

2.4K Posts

August 29th, 2016 20:00

Of course you can :

- do not forget that the media db does 'only' store save set and media information, but no device information

- tapes will not be affected at all. That's why you can use them in any compatible device

- disk drives will only be affected if you label/recycle the media. This is what you must not do.

August 29th, 2016 21:00

So data domains can be moved

2.4K Posts

August 30th, 2016 02:00

Excuse me, but let me ask directly: What do you want at all?

1. question:   How to add another storage node?

2. question:   Can I move devices to the SN?

3. question:   Can DDs be moved at all?

Sure they can - but how do you want to move them at all?

- Within the same or to a different data zone?

- The whole DD or a single device on the DD?

- Device and/or media as well?

- Keeping existing data or not?

If you just want to create a new DD device for the new SN you may of course also do that.

If it shall receive data for the same pool you may also stop writing to the existing DD device/volume as follows:

- UNMOUNT the current DD volume

- set the volume to 'read only'

- MOUNT - DO NOT LABEL - it again

It will lead to an endless discussion if you just mention every detail in a separate question instead letting us know the scenario.

August 30th, 2016 03:00

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the confusion.

Our networker server is also acting as a storage node currently and it has 362 devices connected to it.

This has caused the networker server to hang every weekend during weekly full backups.

We want to add more storage nodes in the same data zones and move or associate existing datadomain devices to these new storage nodes. Without losing any data on the data domains.

Questions

1. How to do that? Install new storage node, and add it.but how to move datadomain devices to another storage node.

2. Licensing , can we work with the existing networker server license or do we need to purchase a separate storage node license?

3. Add storage node to clients, which we want to use the new storage node.

4. Would any changes be need to be made on the group level to make it use the data domains whose owner ship has changed?

14.3K Posts

September 8th, 2016 00:00

If you have DDs, there is no reason to have so many devices for sure.  Anyway, back to you questions:

1. remove device (do not remove volume data) and add this device again to storage node (without labeling of course) - then just mount it and data (volume) is now available via storage node
  2. You need storage licenses for each storage node IF you use legacy licensing (I say this as you mentioned 362 devices and if your server was storage node and you never had extra storage node licenses to bump up parallelism streams, it means that you could only support 64 streams at max which may be the reason why you saw hangs in the first place).
  3. Just change storage node field of the client
  4. Nope

September 24th, 2016 21:00

Also when you say if its DD there is no reason to have so many devices. Do you mean its enough to create say 1 device for 1 pool, and the rest will be taken care by the data domain?

September 24th, 2016 21:00

This worked. Thanks a lot! Hrvoje Crvelin 

14.3K Posts

September 26th, 2016 00:00

I use 4-5 devices per pool (and have 2 pools only) which is enough to ingest 50k sessions per day.

No Events found!