bingo.1
4 Beryllium

Re: Moving clients from one networker server to another

Jump to solution

Excuse me, but let me ask directly: What do you want at all?

1. question:   How to add another storage node?

2. question:   Can I move devices to the SN?

3. question:   Can DDs be moved at all?

Sure they can - but how do you want to move them at all?

- Within the same or to a different data zone?

- The whole DD or a single device on the DD?

- Device and/or media as well?

- Keeping existing data or not?

If you just want to create a new DD device for the new SN you may of course also do that.

If it shall receive data for the same pool you may also stop writing to the existing DD device/volume as follows:

- UNMOUNT the current DD volume

- set the volume to 'read only'

- MOUNT - DO NOT LABEL - it again

It will lead to an endless discussion if you just mention every detail in a separate question instead letting us know the scenario.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the confusion.

Our networker server is also acting as a storage node currently and it has 362 devices connected to it.

This has caused the networker server to hang every weekend during weekly full backups.

We want to add more storage nodes in the same data zones and move or associate existing datadomain devices to these new storage nodes. Without losing any data on the data domains.

Questions

1. How to do that? Install new storage node, and add it.but how to move datadomain devices to another storage node.

2. Licensing , can we work with the existing networker server license or do we need to purchase a separate storage node license?

3. Add storage node to clients, which we want to use the new storage node.

4. Would any changes be need to be made on the group level to make it use the data domains whose owner ship has changed?

0 Kudos
ble1
6 Indium

Jump to solution

If you have DDs, there is no reason to have so many devices for sure.  Anyway, back to you questions:

1. remove device (do not remove volume data) and add this device again to storage node (without labeling of course) - then just mount it and data (volume) is now available via storage node
  2. You need storage licenses for each storage node IF you use legacy licensing (I say this as you mentioned 362 devices and if your server was storage node and you never had extra storage node licenses to bump up parallelism streams, it means that you could only support 64 streams at max which may be the reason why you saw hangs in the first place).
  3. Just change storage node field of the client
  4. Nope

Jump to solution

This worked. Thanks a lot! Hrvoje Crvelin

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Also when you say if its DD there is no reason to have so many devices. Do you mean its enough to create say 1 device for 1 pool, and the rest will be taken care by the data domain?

0 Kudos
ble1
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I use 4-5 devices per pool (and have 2 pools only) which is enough to ingest 50k sessions per day.

0 Kudos