Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2012 15:00

NDMP backup and streams

Hi all

Just a q about NDMP backup and it's stream. On celerra, the concurrent ndmp streams supported is max 8.

When you do NDMP or DSA backup, if you exceed this limit where you have more CIFS than the concurrent limit, the backup fail/aborts itself.

Possible to let networker to queue? Understand this is NDMP protocol limit. But just checking for other possibilities.

Thanks in advance

14.3K Posts

July 12th, 2012 17:00

You can achieve that using parallelism on group and client setting. While exact settings escapes me, you can also modify value on Celerra to have more sessions, but this is not recommended.

326 Posts

July 12th, 2012 22:00

Yes..in group you can limit the number of streams if all CIFS run within that same group..

The problem is if you have more than 8 groups and different save sets in each group...the 9th group that tries to start just got aborted and not queued

14.3K Posts

July 13th, 2012 04:00

That normal since new group doesn't have relation to previous ones. Instead you could merge those savesets from 9th group with others. We use snapshots to protects user data and mirroring as per our data classification and retention required to keep it longer, we do not find NDMP to be good choice for backup of that particular data. Of course, you coult try to use VBB to make it more faster - my understanding is that you use classic approach to NDMP.

326 Posts

July 15th, 2012 15:00

Hi Hrvoje

What you using for snapshot?...powersnap or snapimage (miror this?) or just default celerra snapshot? if default celerra alone how do you recover them? manual or let the end user retrieve themselves?

Thanks

14.3K Posts

July 16th, 2012 02:00

For CIFS, atm, we do not use Celerra so we use native snapshots to 3rd party filer. Users are able to restore their data on their own. With Celerra, to speed up the things, you can use snapsure to create snapshot, but I believe you would get better results by using vbb.

No Events found!