Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AU

August 18th, 2014 11:00

NMC 8.1.1.2 cannot launch Networker User

We're running NetWorker 8.1.1.2 Build 280 on a Windows 2012 R2 Standard Server, with Java JRE version 7.67.

Problem statement: When we try to launch NetWorker User direclty from the NMC, under Recover\NetWorker User we get an error message (please refer to the attached screenshot). I already opened a support case with EMC and we tried several settings with the Java applet / add-on, unfortunately to no avail.

Since I can successfully launch the NetWorker User from NMC 8.1.1.7 running on a WIN 2008 R2 server, I wonder whether our problem may be connected with either the Server OS or the NetWorker version.

Has anyone out there seen this behavior? If you have, how have you been able to resolve it?

Thank you in advance for any tips and guidance.

Regards, Karel

1 Attachment

14.3K Posts

August 18th, 2014 17:00

winworkr is part of client package, for example:

ecn248.JPG.jpg

I do not have any client running 8.1.1.2 to check if perhaps binary is missing, you can check it yourself.  Another potential issue might be binary being installed, but not in defined path.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

August 19th, 2014 00:00

I hope you are using the NMC on one of the server's which has networker installed on it (Server, Storage Node, client or NMC server). If not, then it does not work this way. NMC has to be on a system that has NetWorker installed in it.

If yes. try launching from the start menu, if that works then you have to check if the complete path to the /nsr/bin folder is defined in PATH system variable. 

August 19th, 2014 05:00

Hello,

I am indeed running the NMC right on the WIN 2012 server (THE NetWorker server itself).

Winworkr is installed on the same server (server and client) and it runs correctly from the start menu (actually a start tile in this case).

The path to the winworkr.exe binary is the first entry in the PATH variable.

According to an EMC support technician who has also helped me investigate this issue, it is most likely attribute to some “disconnect” between the Java JRE and the winworkr binary.

I’ll buy that explanation. However, WHAT is the disconnect, and how do we fix it?

Thank you for any light you can shed on this pesky issue.

-Karel

August 19th, 2014 06:00

Hi Adam, there are two reasons for that:

1) The feature is there (and thus it should work).

2) Our client has asked for it to work.

Respectfully, Karel

215 Posts

August 19th, 2014 06:00

Just curious but why would you not use the new recover UI built into NMC versus the ancient Networker User?

regards,

Adam

14.3K Posts

August 19th, 2014 16:00

Feature is there, but it is legacy and kind of obsoletish as time more progresses.  In your opening topic, you mentioned 8.1.1.7 was on win2k8 - can you test the same with win2k12?  I can imagine that older program might not be 100% there on win2k12, but that's just wide speculation (not interested to test it myself - but you could do it for your client after all). The fact that it works from tile might indicate something is broken between NMC and winwork when being called, but only programmer with insight to code and and debug output could say exactly what it is. Since 8.1.1.2 was first GA release of 8.1 SP1 I would definetly move to later patch code (regardless of this issue).

No Events found!