NetApp-User
1 Nickel

Re: NMC - What drives you crazy ?

Where do you get NW 7.6?  The latest I can find on PowerlInk is 7.5 SP1.

0 Kudos
mfriedma
6 Indium

Hi,

NetWorker 7.6 will be Generaly Available in the late Novemeber timeframe.

Regards,

Mickey

0 Kudos
SkipHanson1
6 Indium

Phil,

Wow, that does sound annoying. I have a feeling this problem is shared by many customers. Let me

do some digging and see what I can find out. Stay tuned.

Thanks again,

Skip

0 Kudos
SkipHanson1
6 Indium

Everyone,

Before I forget. I have setup an email alias for all our customers to send me usability issues, suggestions, complaints etc. on anything to

do with NetWorker and usability. If you experience something in your day-to-day activities with NetWorker that you want to comment on

please use the alias to send it to me at: networker_usability@emc.com

I can't promise all suggestions will be implemented but I can assure you that I read each and every email (along with others more powerful

than myself ). If we hear the same complaint from enough user we will get it fixed.

In the past two releases of NetWorker/NMC, customer feedback and user testing have directly influenced the product. I will comment in more

detail when 7.6 is released.

Cheers,

Skip

0 Kudos
PeteOrton
6 Indium

Hi Skip we are currently using 7.4.4. NetWorker and we suffer from very slow response, our GUI constantly hangs and either needs to be killed using taskmgr or takes sometimes as long as 5-10 minutes top respond.

The amount of times we see the progress bar stopping on 46% is off the scale and our 24 x 7 Ops team have had to be given a script to run an NMC stop/start overnight because they are unable to monitor NetWorker overnight because it just hangs.

Is this improved in 7.5 or is it just something we have to live with for now?

Kind Regards

Pete

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

First let me explain my environment.I am running Networker 7.4.1. The Networker server is on an IBM p570 running AIX 6.1 and the NMC is on an Windows 2003 server. Why? you ask, because after about a month going through all the documentation and corresponding both through email and over the phone, with EMC I never could get the NMC to run on AIX (at that time it was 5.3). Since that nightmare I have not been in much of a hurry to upgrade.

Some other issues that I don't know if they have been addressed in later versions

Monitoring - I cannot monitor the whole backup such as how fast and how much has been backed up using the NMC. I must nsrwatch on the Networker server that I am not always logged into.

Group/client properties - If you select groups from configuration and select a group you must right click and select properties in the groups column, not in what comes up on the right side, to get to the group to set it up. You cannot double click it and what appears on the right is actually the client so if you double click it you bring up the client properties.

Local Hosts - I am guessing this comes from the client list but I have client only installed on most of the computers so I get an error when I click on them.

0 Kudos
PeteOrton
6 Indium

Hi Larry

Not sure what your issue is with NMC on AIX 5.3 because we have had it working for a while now, we are running NetWorker 7.4.4. and the following NMC version.

/nsr/lgtonmc/bin/gstd:
        23  1.4  src/bos/usr/ccs/lib/libpthreads/init.c, libpth, bos510 8/19/99 12:20:14
        61      1.14  src/bos/usr/ccs/lib/libc/__threads_init.c, libcthrd, bos510 7/11/00 12:04:14
         NMC Release:  NetWorker Management Console 3.4.4.Build.634
         Build arch.:  aix51n
         Build number: 634
         Release:      7.4.4.Build.634
         Product:      NetWorker
         Build date:   Thu Dec 11 17:33:29 PST 2008
         Build info:   DBG=0,OPT=-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
        57  1.4.1.4  src/bos/usr/ccs/lib/libc/fstab.c, libcenv, bos510 6/7/00 16:35:25

I totally agree with you on your comments regarding how groups are handled under the configuration tab in NMC - why on earth when you click on groups do the groups get displayed in both panes that is annoying...

1 more thing for Eric and the other EMC'ers I decided to give NMC 7.5 a go on my desktop (Windows XP) and on the performance front I see a step backwards - my GUI is now consistently hanging with the progress bar saying 16% for sometimes minutes at a time - a step backwards from the 46% that I was complaining about yesterday ....

Cheers

Pete

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Phil_1
6 Indium

PeteOrton wrote:

1 more thing for Eric and the other EMC'ers I decided to give NMC 7.5 a go on my desktop (Windows XP) and on the performance front I see a step backwards - my GUI is now consistently hanging with the progress bar saying 16% for sometimes minutes at a time - a step backwards from the 46% that I was complaining about yesterday ....

Cheers

Pete

Pete,

sorry but I'm going to laugh at this situation.

I had similar situation. I opened a case with Support. They told me to ~'go and jump'/ 'that is not supported'. I ignored them, as we were using NW 7.3.3 at the time, and I wanted some 'nice things' like select and label 20 volumes, using point click.

Out of curiosity, did you install the NMC by installing the '7.5 server bundle', and just not having the server backing anything up. Thats the only way I could get the NMC installed on my laptop. This provided lots of communications betweeen the real server and my laptop server, and even more stuff in the logs when I was on-call/ having the laptop off at night/ weekend.

Since the upgrade of the server to 7.5.1, I've uninstalled the software on my laptop, and installed the NMC 'correctly', and the logs do not contain my laptop anymore

Phil

0 Kudos
Phil_1
6 Indium

SkipHanson wrote:

We need your help to make NMC and all of NetWorker more usable.

Cheers,

Skip

NetWorker Usability

"The GUI is the system."

Skip,

just thought of one things that would make NMC more usable - sorting, mutliple column.

When in the Libraries pane, there are 2800 slots, many slots with volumes. I want to sort by Pool, then <control click> by %used.

Hope I don't get banned - ECC (Control Center) can do this type of sorting.

Also,

In Monitoring/ Log, could there be a way to set the number of lines to store <cache locally> on the individual users log? This would also be useful in the Operations tab, as we could see what occurred prior to the tape library malfunction/ stuck tape.

Also,

In Monitoring/ Sessions, I have recently been carrying out lots of manual clones. If I leave <scripted> clones running overnight and want to check the clones first thing the next day, I expect the previous session type to be the default, when I go to the tab. This is not saved. I assume many options/ settings are not worth saving, but this would allow me to login and "be where I was". You could also add a click button to reset GUI settings to default.

Phil

0 Kudos
Phil_1
6 Indium

Another...

in Monitoring, when sorting by "Next Run", 'disabled' is highest priority, or counts as lowest time. I want this to show what group will start next at the top. If I click "Next Run" again, the last to run group will be top.

Phil

0 Kudos