Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2009 20:00

NMC - What drives you crazy ?

All,

Good evening. My name is Skip Hanson and I am the Consultant User Interface Designer for NetWorker. I am

reponsible for all things NMC. I started this role just after 7.3 was released and have been working towards a

more accessable, powerful and flexible user interface.

My question to all of you is: What is it in NMC that drives you crazy on a daily basis ?

It could be something very simple. Come on...I know there is something you hate ? If I hear it enough, I will get

it fixed. Which brings me to my next point. We need your help to make NMC and all of NetWorker more usable.

I talk to many of you at different times of the year but I want more. I guess you could say I am bit obsessed with

making things better.

Cheers,

Skip

NetWorker Usability

"The GUI is the system."

7 Posts

May 26th, 2010 00:00

I'm late to the party on this one, but I'd have to echo the sentiments already expressed here.

We use NMC to manage 12 Networker server, the largest with around 900 clients.

The Jobsdb is set to keep 3 days and 120Mb of history, but it can be half an hour before we get any response on a bad day. We also suffer the hangs and crashes (7.4.4 at the moment)

It's got so bad that we've found ways to get Nwadmin working on the (Solaris) backup servers, so we can still work.

NMC is potentially a great product -it's abilities are far beyond what Nwadmin can do. However, our staff have to be prodded into using it due to the ongoing issues.

Just my 10p (I'm in the UK ) -worth.

Phil

19 Posts

May 26th, 2010 04:00

I am in the same situation with NMC,how did you get NWADMIN to work, I always liked that GUI, I use nsrwatch just so I can see what is running when I come in the morning.

7 Posts

May 26th, 2010 05:00

Ahem, well, . Not really sure if I should give that kind of unsupported workaround on an EMC forum. Would an EMC person care to comment?

Phil

14.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2010 09:00

It is not unsupported at all; it has been shared several times by EMC as well.  One just have to remember that it should be used for monitoring only and no edit or operational tasks.

No Events found!