Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2011 07:00

NMC firewall requirements to manage one server

I have a backup server in a DMZ and my NMC is in our normal production network.  The backup server is a windows 2008 R2 server.  The NMC server is Win 2k3 SP2.  All I need to do is manage the backup server from the NMC.  Is there a simple port list that NMC uses or is there a way to constrain the NMC to use only a small range of ports?

I don't need any backup traffic, crossing the firewall.  Just management traffic.

2 Posts

I have seen that information in the documentation.  The 9000 port isn't an issue since we only access the web interface from our production network and not across the firewall.  Same for 9001 since we run the NMC client and server in the same production network.  The database is on the same system as the NMC so that isn't crossing the firewall either.

I have looked in the documentation and I can't seem to identify the ports that NMC uses to talk to a Networker server.  

445 Posts

The Console server component of NMC uses 3 ports.

One port is used for the web server (needed to provide a way to download the java application code which acts as the NMC front end). This by default is 9000, but can be changed during installation of NMC.

The second port is used for RPC calls from the NMC Java client to the Console server. This by default is 9001, but can be changed during installation of NMC.

The last port is used for database queries. This is 2638

The ports used for NMC are not taken from the range configured using nsrports.

Further information is in the Administration Guide in Ports used by Networker add-on products section.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Bill Mason

736 Posts

March 4th, 2011 05:00

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you're not getting from the documentation. On the 7.6.1 Admin Guide page 704, you have a section 'How to enable Console client/server connections through a firewall' which explains what ports you need.  Is something not working as you expect?  If you want to see what ports are actually being used in your system, you can find this in the gstd.conf file on the NMC server which is in, for example:

C:\program files\legato\Management\GST\etc\gstd.conf

If you think this isn't behaving for you as it should according to the documentation, let us know the details and we'll see if we can figure it out.

regards,

-Bobby

No Events found!