Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2012 06:00

NMM 2.3 Exchange 2010 How to recover a public folder database

Hi everybody,

I have a problem in understanding how to recover a public folder.

In our environment (Networker 7.6.3.3, NMM 2.3, Exchange 2010 Standalone Public Folder, Exchange 2010 DAG for Mailbox DB´s) I´m trying to recover a public folder.

I´ve done several backups of this node, in the NMM Recovery console I can do Recover -> Exchange 2010 Recover session -> Database recover, then I see a PFDatabase1 I can mark for recover, and then I can click on the Recover-Button. But what would happen then? It´s an absolute No-Go overwriting the existing PFDatabase1, Advanced Recover ist not supported for PF Databases, Granular Recover is only supported for RDB´s, and RDB´s are not supported for PF Databases? I seeked through the manuals, but couldn´t find any related information.

Is there a manual I haven´t found until now? Did I understand something wrong? Any help or information would be great.

Regards,

Christian

1.7K Posts

October 11th, 2012 04:00

Hello Christian,

As explained by Panwar the ONLY way to restore PF is to overwrite, and this limitation is coming form Microsoft as far as I know.

You will never be able to see/browse PF DB. The only option in where NMM GUI will display the PF is when you run the backup having the physical node hosting the PF (PF is not replicated) scheduled in the group and you run the restore from there node hosting the PD.

Let's say you have nodeP1, nodeP2 and nodeDAG, and PF resides on nodeP2.

You have scheduled the backup to run in both nodesP, backing up Active DB's.

To restore PF you need to open NMM GUI on nodeP2 and in NMM GUI select the name of the client nodeDAG.

Then you need to select Exchange->Exchange 2010 recover session->Database restore.

This will allow you to restore the PF but overwriting the current PF.

Maybe you would like (not sure if it's possible) to take a copy of the current PF somewhere else and then restore the PF from the backup and then merge both.

Thank you.

Carlos.

79 Posts

October 8th, 2012 08:00

Hi

When you click recover button the NMM User GUI, Public folder will overwritten from restored PF. Its by design in Exchange. Whenever we restore Public folder, it will get overwriten.

Regards

Panwar

17 Posts

October 9th, 2012 04:00

Hi Panwar,

thanks for answering - I thought, that will be the way to restore, but hoped, there will be another.

Is there a way to do granular recovery of a PF database?

Regards,

Christian

17 Posts

October 18th, 2012 02:00

Carlos,

one more time thank you for answering and helping.

I can see (and mark) PF in NMM GUI, but I was still wondering if there is an alternative way to restore. I understand now the limitation as you told me.

Exchange-admin wasnt too happy to hear that, so we are still talking about the best way to restore PF, if it is necessary (perhaps trying to use a copy, as you suggested)

I try to mark the question as answered.

Regards, Christian

14.3K Posts

October 18th, 2012 04:00

PF restores are rather painful point by MS and they recognize it themselves too - see here.

1.7K Posts

October 18th, 2012 05:00

Hi Hrvoje,

Actually that is a good point, thanks for the link provided.

This seems to be confusing for everybody, thinking that the limitation in fact resides in NMM however this is a pure Exchange limitation. There could be some workarounds etc using some MS Exchange tools, but with NMM (and I would say the same for all backup products nowadays), the only way to restore PF is to overwrite.

Thank you.

Carlos.

No Events found!