Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

July 18th, 2013 13:00

NMM 2.4sp1 and Exchange 2010 sp3

Our Exchange administrators are in the process of upgrading our Exchange 2010 servers to SP3, and we have some questions.    Right now, our backup server is running 7.6.2.7, with a planned upgrade to 8.0.sp2 in September.    In order to run NMM2.4sp1, according to the EMC web site, we must have the Exchange client on NW 8.0sp1 (or higher).   

We are concerned about the backup server running 7.6.2.7, and the client running 8.0sp2, and NMM 2.4sp1.  

Is anyone else running tExchange 2010 sp3, with NMM 2.4sp1, and the backup server running 7.6?   

1.7K Posts

July 19th, 2013 00:00

Hello David,

Despite the environment you mention is totally supported, I have some experience where having NW server in 7.x and clients/storage nodes in 8.x introduces some problems in the overall performance of NW server.

NW 8.x for example required nsrauth to be used. This means that when nsrauth is in use, NW 8 and NW 7 will use the same authentication libraries however, NW 8 has newer library versions, so that causes lots of error messages in the logs and eventually could lead to NW server misbehaving and in rare situations even a complete hang of NW server so, my advice would be to upgrade NW server as well.

But as I said, the environment you mention is supported and could work just fine, all depends on you NW environment (as in number of clients, storage nodes, frequency of backups etc.).

Thank you,

Carlos

1.7K Posts

July 19th, 2013 01:00

Hi Souvanlasy,

I think you are facing some other issue not related with having NW server in 7.x

what error messages do you get?

Maybe it's worth starting a new thread for it.

Thank you,

Carlos

9 Posts

July 19th, 2013 01:00

Hi David,

I'am too, have troubles with an identical configuration :

- NetWorker Server 7.6

- NetWorker Client 8.0SP1 Exchange 2010 SP3 (DAG with 2 nodes)

- NMM 2.4SP1

The backup works fines ... we are able to recover to RDB but unable to browse any MailBoxes

Will keep post , if we ever succeed.

Souvanlasy

1.7K Posts

July 19th, 2013 02:00

No, I don't mean EMC Reports but NMM Config Checker.

This very useful tool gets installed by default with NMM, so you should see it in there, under EMC->Tools, if I remember well.

Thank you,

Carlos

9 Posts

Hi Carlos,

Have found this post yesterday, and will try it... will give a feedback as soon as possible.

Again ... thanks ...

9 Posts

Hi Carlos,

It seems like the account we used is able to backup with no errors but when comes to browse the RDB, we get this warning message :

(source : libmapibrowse.raw)

IServiceAdmin::ConfigureMsgService() = 0x80040115: unknown error -2147221227 (0x80040115)

(source : Application Event.log)

mapi(5050): unable to open EMS Store pour Exchange Server SB-EXCBD-02, status 0x

any suggestion of yours will be  greatly appreciate.

Thanks and Regards

1.7K Posts

Did you run NMM Config Checker?

Check this post:

https://community.emc.com/message/719203

Thank you,

Carlos

9 Posts

Yep ... have actually finish the EMC Reprots with all necessary logs ... but it is so huge. But it's a zip file so if you want them let me know.

OK will check the post ...

Thanks

9 Posts

July 24th, 2013 06:00

Hi all,

Unfortunately, MB wasn't migrate from EXCH2003, so haven't use the tool suggested. Anyway, the issue is still. We can

- Backup successfully at anytime

- Restore to RDB at anytime

- Unable to browse the RDB

Any other suggestions wil be appreciate ... :-)

PS : Headr that NMM3.0 sshould be release this Friday ???

Thanks

159 Posts

August 13th, 2013 05:00

Make sure that the Right version of MAPI CDO 1.2.1 is installed ! There are a lot of versions out there , maybe u catched a Version only Supporting E2007 ...

Also, make sure that Exchange wise you gave the right Permissions to your DB Admin:

Make user is in the Following AD Groups: "Backup Operators", "Exchange Servers", "Remote Desktop Users", "Organization Management", "Server Management"

Run Add-RoleGroupMember "Discovery Management" –Member $BackupAdmin, where $BackupAdmin is ure BackupUser for NMM

New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role "Databases" -User $BackupAdmin , where $BackupAdmin is ure BackupUser for NMM

Make Sure to add extended Mailbox Rights to your Backup user :

get-ExchangeServer | add-adpermission -user $BackupAdmin -accessrights ExtendedRight -extendedrights Send-As, Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin

Make sure that you start NMM Restore as the User having the rights wit right click run as admin !

Also, make sure that Windowsth Auth is enabled for Default Website/Powershell in IIS !

Take a Look at Application Eventlog vor PS and Exchange !

9 Posts

August 13th, 2013 06:00

Hi Karsten,

Thanks for your reply. all of these points that you've mention have been check several time since 2 weeks now and it appears that every permissions onto the user profile are good.

It appears that only once we were able to browse and then when we retry the next day , the issue came back again even the backup are still going fine.

We have even tried NMM 3.0 with NetWorker Client 8.1 but it was worst, we couldn't backup ... ?

Regards

159 Posts

August 13th, 2013 06:00

What does the Eventlog at time of restore tell for Application and Services\Microsoft\Powershell and  Application and Services\Microsoft\Exchange Management ?

What version of CDO are you running ?

Do you have an export of Config Checker available ?

No Events found!