Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2013 12:00

NMM2.4 NW8.0 SP1 -SQL2012- Trying to backup 10TB Instance with mulitple DB in that Instance

Hi All

New to NW Need some advanced setting to get this 10TB SQL DB  instance to backup which has mulitple DB with biggest being 4TB any tips and suggestion

how to backup this DB we are using DD-NMM2.4 with  NW 8.0SP1

I see some of  this in APPguide of nmm2.4 and need help  form you guys to let me know

Before any striped backup begins, the Parallelism attribute in the Set Up Server dialog box

in the NetWorker Management Console program must be set to at least one more than the

number of stripes being used. For example, if you use three stripes, specify a value of four

or greater for the parallelism.

The total number of save streams (SS), which is the data and save set information being

written to a storage volume during a backup, is actually a product of client parallelism (P)

and stripes (S), that is SS = P X S.

My DD is dedicated for this testing i have 0-999 devices on DD.

can anyone help me how to set the parallelism and where can i change stripes on client properties?

70 Posts

Hi Hrvoje

i am using SQL-VDI based backup can you let me know how to get better through put i am geting around 100GB in 30 minutes with all defaults i dint tweak any settings

Thank you

14.3K Posts

I would rather take a approach by using VDI approach to backup where I backup each database within instance than single instance backup with stripes...

14.3K Posts

April 6th, 2013 04:00

100GB in 30 minutes is sometimes good and sometimes no - not sure what kind of network you use and what is you backbone - you will know that better.  If this is pure 10Gbps, it still depends on how much storage and application can deliver so there is no straight answer when it comes to performance (you can do it 50x and each time will be different - guaranteed). As for SQL itself, I would rather use MSSQL$Instance:DB approach then instance itself and spread the load to fit my overall backup env.

70 Posts

April 6th, 2013 08:00

Hi Hrvoje

I used 10 streams and 11 parallelism to backup this 14 TB SQL DB instance and back up finished in 3 hour 49 minutes which i thought it was very impressive it may vary with all servers backing up same time but as you said will split ones we come into production.

Thanks a lot for your help on this issue and my DD has 10 GB NIC and NW server has 32 GB RAM and client has  512 GB RAM with good cpu bundles(May be that helped me i am going through the testing phase again and post the numbers ones i see any big differences in backup times).

Please let me know if there is any other best ways to improve the performance of backing up a SQL DB using VDI...

Thank you.

14.3K Posts

April 7th, 2013 01:00

Not that I'm aware of... I just defined it and it run. Note that your DB might be in size 14TB, but that might be size of datafile and not actual data inside (which is what you backup of course so in respect to previously reported speed and size you reported along with backup time, I would say actual backup volume is less).

No Events found!