Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SC

December 5th, 2013 06:00

NW 8.1 and Vsphere Resource Pools

Hi,

my network guy is just implementing the lastest version of Networker. He ask me to create Resource Pools in our Vcenter in order to group the VMs. He wants to use these Resource Pools for the Backup jobs. I was wondering if this is a common practice or if there is a better way to group VMs for backup jobs. Any input is appreciated.

We run Vsphere 5.1, esx 5.1 U1, and NW 8.1 with Datadomain

90 Posts

December 5th, 2013 15:00

Hi Quasimonto,

Resource pools are really there to compartmentalize resources in a cluster or vSphere environment. If the goal is to logically group VMs, I've personally utilized folders within a vSphere environment.

This is an example of using vSphere folders:

This Slide (1).bmp

In this example the 'Exchange 2013' folder will contain all VMs for the Exchange environment. This would be the ideal way to group VMs in a vSphere environment.

Hope this helps,

-Ed

December 6th, 2013 04:00

Hi Mikuszed,

i agree on your opinion on resources pools. the same understanding on my side. Can networke utilize the Folder structure for backup jobs?

90 Posts

December 6th, 2013 05:00

Thanks, Bobby. This functionality should make it into 8.1 SP1, which is in directed availabilty right now.

736 Posts

December 6th, 2013 05:00

No - NetWorker can't use the folder structure to organize backup jobs.  This enhancement has been requested and will hopefully be there in the future.

-Bobby

December 11th, 2013 05:00

Hi, Where can i find this. The forlder structure does not show up in NW, but resource pools do.

December 11th, 2013 05:00

so how do you guys order the NW backups from vcenter then?

90 Posts

December 12th, 2013 05:00

Quasimonto,

Is this similar to what you're seeing in the vSphere Web Client below? I see the resource group too, but am only able to select the disk. Let me know, thanks.

This Slide.bmp

6 Posts

March 25th, 2014 01:00

Hi,

we currently have configured NW 8.1.1.2 and in the manual for VMware backups it is mentioned:

You can specify collections of VMs, such as all VMs in a datacenter or select individual VMs.

If an entire resource pool, host, datacenter, or folder is selected, any new VMs in that container are included in subsequent backups.

If you select a VM, then any disk added to the VM is included in the backup.

If you move the VM from the selected container to another unselected container, then the VM is no longer part of the backup.

You can manually select a VM to be backed up, which ensures that NetWorker backs up the VM, even when you move the VM.

So it is clearly stated here.

But when we try to make a selection in the vSphere web client, only Datacenters-Clusters-VM's are shown.
No folder selection possible.

Any ideas before I open a support case?

regards

6 Posts

March 25th, 2014 05:00

Thanks for the info.

So the question now remains: when the manuals say it should be possible, how can it be done?

I have not yet opened a support case for this “problem” but as soon as I have site access in EMC Support I will do so.

I am starting to think that we should have configured the old method with proxies instead of the appliance.

Steven

90 Posts

Thanks Steven. You're spot on. Folders should be used here as resource pools aren't appropriate. I wouldn't trying to shoe horn resource pools into the environment to conform to the backups. You might end up potentially seeing some strange things with your VMs and vSphere environment.

I attached some good guidance on resource pools.

If you want to forward me that case, we can take that two front approach with this.

Thanks,

-Ed

1 Attachment

90 Posts

Morning Aldenst,

I've made this point to support and engineers in the past. I've been told it'll be available in NW 8.2, which aligns more closely with Avamar 7 and it's capabilities. Can you forward the link to that document stating the comments in bold above in which you pointed out? I'd open a support case as well to work both fronts. Also, if you're inclined, send me a private message or email with the case number, and I'll see if we can get more traction on this. This is a huge piece of functionality that either needs explanation or incorporation into the product.

Thanks,

-Ed

90 Posts

Hi Hrvoje,

I love it when it makes sense . I have that one, thanks.

14.3K Posts

Ed,

Just place part of text into search on support site and you will find reference to be document titled EMC NetWorker and VMware integration guide.

6 Posts

Hi Ed,

I attached the “NetWorker and VMware Integration Guide” (which is also in the 8.1 portfolio).

On page 63 there is a part describing how to choose VM’s and there is also the sentence I copied in my post.

The customer where I have installed and configured NetWorker v8.1.1.2 doesn’t use the resource pools in VMware.

Maybe he could but this should not be the case.

It is easier to use specific folders and apply the VMware backup policies to these folders.

Steven

1 Attachment

6 Posts

March 25th, 2014 06:00

Ed,

I think the vSphere web client shows the VMware “Hosts and Clusters” inventory view.

In this window it is possible to create folders on datacenter level but these can only contain ESX hosts and/or clusters not specific VM’s.

However in the window “VM’s and Templates” it is possible to create folders which contain multiple VM’s.

So in my opinion NetWorker and vSphere web client should be able to change the Inventory view like the normal vSphere Client does so that you can see “VM’s and Templates” and also the folders created in this view which are real folders.

Regards

Steven

No Events found!