Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2016 05:00

NetWorker 9.0.0.6 saves not exisiting drive without warning

Hi community!

I am currently observing the following behavior on our NetWorker 9.0.0.6 server on Windows 2012R2.

I set up a client and entered two save sets for the client:

C:\Program Files\tools

X:

The X: is a drive letter that does not exist on the client. I did this just for curiosity how to find out what error message will show up when NetWorker tries to save "X:". Suprisingly I get no indication of an error at all in the monitoring view. When digging in the logs/policy directory I found the following log. There at least an info shows up that X: does not exist. The client level is also 9.0.0.6.

C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\logs\policy\Bronze\Failing Clients\backup_000887_logs\889.log

6999:save: X:: No such file or directory

nw-srv-9.company.com: C:\Program Files\tools level=incr, 0 KB 00:00:00      0 files

Completed savetime=1464352391

90015:save: The backup of VSS emit save set 'C:\Program Files\tools' succeeded.

94694:save: The backup of save set 'C:\Program Files\tools' succeeded.

94694:save: The backup of save set 'pseudo_saveset' succeeded.

94694:save: The backup of save set 'pseudo_saveset' succeeded.

The following questions came up here regarding this:

* Can someone confirm this behavior?

* Is this a bug or a feature?

* Is there any option to get NetWorker to report this as an error in the managment console monitoring view?

Best wishes

Stefan

14.3K Posts

May 31st, 2016 01:00

Normally it should fail (I never tried drive letter; rather drive letter with some path, but still I would expect the same).  You should report it to support.

226 Posts

June 1st, 2016 21:00

It looks like a bug to me.

June 1st, 2016 22:00

Thanks to everyone checking this out. As suggested I'll try to open a bug for this.

Best wishes

Stefan

BTW: This problem also occurs when entering a non existing path as saveset eg C:\this_path_does_not_exist\

226 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 08:00

I have tested it. if you put only the saveset which is not present on the system then the backup fails. But if any of the savesets are available then it completes successfully.

July 7th, 2017 05:00

so this is not an issue?

we are on win2008 and NWR client 9.1, still we see this message

and the restores dont show up all files and folders other than EMC Networker installation folder, but nsrinfo shows \\volume_id\folders\files, which means data is protected but not with drive letter

August 9th, 2017 05:00

pseudo_saveset why this error is coming in 9.1 for all windows clients. What's the logic behind pseudo_saveset?

2.4K Posts

August 9th, 2017 09:00

From another document:

"NetWorker 9.0 uses a pseudo save set to act as the anchor save set for aggregated workflows.

At run time, a pseudo save set is added to each client’s save set list to use as the anchor save for an aggregated save point save. The NetWorker server creates a job instance only for the pseudo save set and adds other save sets to the save job while building the save command for the pseudo save set. This master save will start save jobs for each save point.

Using a new job API, the NetWorker server receives a completion status of each save set separately without waiting for other save sets to finish. This enables immediate cloning for save sets, the client retries and group/policy restarts feature for aggregated workflows, and NMC reporting and monitoring for job instances for all actual save sets."

So it is an internal mechanism which is only needed during the process/workflow. Backup save sets with this name will not be generated.

######################

If you really have a problem with ALL windows clients, please be more specific. Otherwise we will not be able to help.

August 10th, 2017 02:00

we are being recommended by EMC to upgrade to 9.1.x

https://support.emc.com/kb/498429

No Events found!