Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2010 08:00

NetWorker File Server Migration Strategy

Hello,

I wanted to ask for assistance on a file server migration. I am in the process of moving data from an older server to a new file server. I currently run Full backups on Sunday and incrementals in between, weekly. The migration will happen this coming Saturday (8/14/2010) afternoon.

Here is my thinking and please advise if this is the best course of action.

Steps

1. I plan to perform a full backup of the current File Server on Friday evening.
  2. Recover this backup to the new server on Saturday morning
  3. Perform an incremental backup Saturday morning after the recover job
  4. Restore the incremental and overwrite data if needed

If someone has a better plan, please share with me. I new to NetWorker and a bit nervous of not getting all of the updated data. Does NetWorker automatically use the Full backup and all incrementals when doing a general recover job? Thanks

186 Posts

August 11th, 2010 13:00

Hi Jason,

Not sure why you want to use Networker to do the data move to the new server.

There is no problem doing a re-directed recover of the data but i wouldn't even use it.

I would robocopy the data to the new server. If your interested in the idea lookup robocopy and it's switches. I suggest running a script in monitor mode until cutover time then after your logon scripts ect have been updated just disable the script and bam your cut over to the new server.

Hope this helps

August 11th, 2010 14:00

Hey Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. I used Microsoft RichCopy over the weekend with mixed results. The process was very manual because RichCopy would not complete all of the directories. I have used RichCopy 3.5, with great success, for years but I am new to 4.0. The software kind of worries me which is why I was thinking about attacking this project with NetWorker instead.

186 Posts

August 11th, 2010 14:00

I have not heard of Rich Copy but will look it up when I get in. Redirection of recovery in Networker is no great problem Jason. It is only going to take time as you are waiting for a backup and then for a restore. It's up to you mate what path you want to go down. I would be making sure I am only backing up the core data and not the system state.

Scott Dugan

Technical Analyst | Infrastructure & Operations

Transfield Services | Business Information Services

Level 8, 111 Pacific Highway North Sydney NSW 2060

T: 61 2 9464 1995 | F: 61 2 8248 1396 | M: 61 408 665 852

E: dugans@transfieldservices.com

W: www.transfieldservices.com

Partners for Change | We lead the way | We do what's right | We take responsibility | We care for each other

Consider the environment and 'Think before you print'

No Events found!