Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 8th, 2010 20:00

NetWorker binary 1.1 for Exchange 2010 SP1

Can you please advise if NetWorker's workaround binary 1.1 for Exchange 2010 supports Exchange 2010 Service Pack 1?

Thanks

177 Posts

September 9th, 2010 11:00

Hi Richard - yes - QA is done and everything is fine with SP1 and the 1.1 binary.  Once I see some announcement language from M Jones, I'll add it up into the previous 2010 announcement.  Have you deployed the 2010 solution w/ customers already?  If so how has it gone?

September 9th, 2010 13:00

Eric

Thanks for the quick response. Michael updated me last evening with this information as well.

This is great news, EMC have beaten most of the competitive products with support for SP1, this includes Symantec.....

We have a number of large customers utilising this module now. Goverment Departments, Financial institutes, Agricultural Research and New Zealand's largest University is about to deploy this.

It would be nice to have confirmation on the licensing requirement for Exchange 2010 with DAG's configured.

i.e. If a customer had four Exchange servers with the databases clustered/replicated and the customer chose to backup all of the databases on one nominated host only. Would they only require 1 NMM license?

Thanks for your assistance

Richard

177 Posts

September 13th, 2010 16:00

Richard - on the licensing question, the answer is that a license is needed for each server where backup will occur.  For the NetWorker client + binary 1.1 solution for E2010 that would mean in your example, one client license is needed for the nominated host.  When NMM support is released, for the same scenario, you would need one NMM license (but also still need a client license as usual).

92 Posts

October 19th, 2010 11:00

Eric -

We are currently planning our Exchnage 2010 migration, and it may happen sooner, rather than later.   Right now, we are working on pricing, and making sure that we have thought of everything.

We currently have 4 Exchange servers, plus gateways, etc.  Due to consolidations, we have 8 Exchange Module licenses.    What are the licensing issues associated with Exchange 2010?  I've downloaded the latest Procedure generator, and it doesn't even cover Exchnage 2010, it stops at 2007.    From what I've read on the technical notes, you simply download a 60k file, you no longer install Networker Exchange Modules.   Is that correct?  If so, will our current Exchange Module licenses convert to NMM licenses?  Will the old licenses work in the interim, until new licenses are issued?

October 19th, 2010 11:00

David

The single binary is a temporary solution until NMM 2.3 is released at the end of Jan 2011.

We have a number of customers utilising this with Exchange 2010, with and without DAG's configured.

The older NME licenses will be converted (Grandfathered) to NMM in the future, this is what I was told by an EMC contact.

Microsoft are dropping support for the older API based backups and insisting on VSS methods. This will affect MSSQL also.

At present the single binary works without any licenses, however you should have a corresponding NME or NMM license for each node configured to be backed up.

I have attached the module technical note PDF which has a reference link to the binary. Make sure you get the 1.1 version of the binary, this supports Exchange 2010 SP1, it also includes some corrections to the code.

Regards

Richard

1 Attachment

42 Posts

October 19th, 2010 12:00

Hi David,

I just noticed you mentioned that the NetWorker PRocedure Generator did not include any details around Exchange 2010.  If you're not seeing the option "Exchange 2010 backups" above "Exchange Client Configuration" contact pg-feedback@emc.com and let them know.  There are full Exchange 2010 backup and restore procedures in NetWorker Procedure Generator and it sounds like you may be having an issue with downloading the latest repository through autoupdate...

Debbie

177 Posts

October 19th, 2010 13:00

Thanks Richard and Debbie!

The binary/plug-in doesn't need a license - but you of course to need a "client connection" license as you would for any backup client.

As Richard mentions, the next NMM release comes out it will support E2010.  NetWorker 7.6+ has been tooled to accept NME licenses for use with NMM 2.2 SP1 and higher.  So no conversion of license codes is necessary.  Sounds like you have NME licenses so you're set on that.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2010 01:00

Could anyone please point me to the correct download location for these files?

Thanks !

334 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 06:00

Hi Wessel,

See Eric's post here.  Page 3 of this document and then page 8 for the file locations...

Thanks,

Allan

1 Message

January 13th, 2011 05:00

Hello,

I'm relatively new to EMC Networker, having a lot of experience with competing products.

Actually I'm struggling to get Networker 7.6 working with our new Exchange 2010 SP1 server.

I've followed every step in the procedure, I can backup normal files on the Exchange server, but not the Exchange DB itself.

It says:

:  Invalid save set name APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010\

144 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 08:00

We have been trying to use this exchange 2010 binary to backup selected databases on the exchange 2010 DAG system.

We are able to do a restore of one database, and ONLY one of the databases we backup. The other databases are backed up according to mminfo. But only one database can be browsed and restored in the restore gui.

Our exchange admin does not like it one bit, and is working on seting up DPM.

Johannes

February 3rd, 2011 09:00

That is just a browsing issue - depending on storage layout, you may see only database for which backup was done the last.

Just use "change time" to go back to any specific time when backup for any specific database was done and you'll be able to see it and select it for restore.

177 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 11:00

Looks like this - yeah Vlad?  (Click to expand)

browsetime.png

No Events found!