Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2015 22:00

NetWorker cloning from multiple DD volumes to tapes vs. saveset order

Hello,

I'm cloning some long retention data (manually, using nsrclone -m .. -S -f ssid_listfile) from DD to tapes. The original savesets may be spreaded between DD volumes -> eg.: I have 4 volumes for database / RMAN backups and in case of high load parallel RMAN streams can use more than one volume.

I've generated the ssid list with mminfo, using -oct options (order by client & savetime), but nsrclone overrides my sort order... I think he reorders the list to be able to clone data volume by volume.

The "random" order of savesets on tapes is a huge problem in case of restore (many seeks and many tapes may be needed for a single db restore).

Is it possible to do it better? My idea was to clone the savesets to an another single DD / or adv_file volume before writing them to tapes, but I'm not sure that nsrclone will not override the savetime order again... Do you know any tricks to force nsrclone to use the savetime order?

(networker v8.1)

TIA,

Istvan

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

May 28th, 2015 03:00

Well, you could use a for loop to run the saveset clone one after another, here's what you need to do.

1. Put the ssid of the savesets to be cloned in the order that you require in a file lets say /tmp/ssid_to_clone.txt

2. Then run the nsrclone command in a look using for loop as follows :

for x in $(cat /tmp/ssid_to_clone.txt)

do

sudo nsrclone -v -b clone_pool -S $x

done

This should do what you want to achieve.

Do let me know how it went.

116 Posts

May 28th, 2015 04:00

I've tested it with 4 ss:

a, the tape remains mounted, but networker rewinds it to check the label

b, I'm using nsrclone -m and this way the saveset is deleted from the source volume but the source volume is also "cleaned", which is not necessary and takes a lots of time..

I think both problems are showstoppers, but the main issue is "a".

Any other idea?

+info: in case of thousands of savesets I'd like to rely on networker on ss deletion. Running nsrim to erase backups doesn't works very well (if the volume gets busy nsrim doesn't deletes (with ~ another delete operation is in progress message) and manually "cross-checking" what to delete is also more dangerous than using this "clone & delete" command)

116 Posts

May 28th, 2015 04:00

Thanks, I'll try it with a few savesets... I see two possible problems with this:

- it may take some time for nsrclone to start up the cloning - this can be considerable in case of thousands of savesets

- let's see if the tape gets unmounted or not..

I'll come back with these infos soon.

2.4K Posts

May 29th, 2015 13:00

I think the main issue is the loop. Consequently, nsrclone is run for each save set. This will result in a separate process for each save set.

To avoid that, you must avoid the loop and only start one nsrclone command and add all ssids with this command.

The procedure should have these steps:

1. run "mminfo" to extract all SSIDs and store them into a file (for example, ssids.txt).

2. nsrclone -m .... -S -f ssids.txt

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

June 1st, 2015 00:00

bingo, the owner of this thread wants the ssid to be cloned in the same order as he lists in the file but that's not going to happen with the if option. Any other ideas where this can be achieved ?

2.4K Posts

June 1st, 2015 04:00

Please note that I did not use the '-I" option.

I assume that mminfo will follow the listed order of the save sets if the destination pool has only one tape drive assigned and the other parameters will only allow a single save stream.

116 Posts

June 8th, 2015 04:00

I've found this '-I' option today.. I'll give it a try.. if nsrclone is doing the cloning immediatelly without waiting for the full list it should do what I want...

bingo, I don't really understand what do you mean with 'mminfo will follow the listed order'.. mminfo lists the savesets in a correct order, but nsrclone takes the full list and reorders it for me.

I'm cloning to a single drive, single stream (I don't know any way to clone with multiple streams to tapes).

No Events found!