Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2011 06:00

NetWorker (sessions)@ EMC World 2011

Hello,

Below are the NetWorker sessions listed over at www.emcworld.com.  Sessions and content being covered look great.  I expect all of you to be in the front row with your NetWorker Community Tshirts on! :-)

EMC NetWorker with EMC Data Domain Boost - Hands-on Workshop Hands-on Workshop
EMC NetWorker: Best Practices for Deduplication with EMC Data Domain Boost Lecture only - Lecture with a PowerPoint
EMC NetWorker: Best Practices for VMware Lecture with Demonstration - Lecture with Internet Demo
EMC NetWorker Best Practices for Microsoft Lecture with Demonstration - Lecture with Internet Demo
EMC NetWorker: Introduction and Overview of New Capabilities Lecture only - Lecture with a PowerPoint
EMC Data Domain Performance Optimization with Data Domain Boost - Integration for Increased Backup Performance and Management (NetWorker listed in this one too) Lecture with Demonstration - Lecture with Internet Demo

Thanks,

Allan

28 Posts

April 12th, 2011 09:00

I'm doing the VMware talk. Any requests for specific points to be covered?

14.3K Posts

April 21st, 2011 07:00

Hi Paul... less topic, but more a question.  I'm a bit dissapointed by the fact that for Linux platform we still can't have the same approach as for Windows guests (individual file restore).  When I originally read about VADP I could see that it comes with support for Linux file restore.  I thought NW would have that implemented, but that didn't happen - the same restriction remained as with VCB.  All our VMs are running either Linux (60%) or Windows (40%) so I was hoping to see Linux enhacement there.

As for topic, I would be interested to hear how does this work with win2k8 VSS integration in VM 4.1 (does it take advantage of some kind) and also to hear how does it perform when using some 3rd party storage like NetApp or Dell which is more midrange thingy (if there is any change or impact).

28 Posts

April 21st, 2011 13:00

Hi Hrvoje,

We are actively working on file-level recovery for Linux VMs. We recognize this as an important requirement and have it as a high priority for enhancing our VADP capabilities.

Great call on the VSS info. I will try and work that in.

Are you planning to be at EMC World this year?

Thanks as always for the feedback. 

14.3K Posts

April 21st, 2011 21:00

Hi Paul,

I assume when feature becomes available it will require Linux proxy?  I'm wondering, from planning perspective, if I might need both Windows and Linux proxies or just for example Linux proxy might be enough for both OS types (I'm not clear with API and underlaying process used so I'm not sure about limitations, but I suspect that I will need both).

I'm booked for EMC World this year so unless I hit another volcano ash, sun eruption or airplane crash I'll be there.

28 Posts

April 22nd, 2011 09:00

The implementation that we're looking at will require a Linux proxy for FLR. Things can change during the development process, but that's the plan as of now.

Looking forward to finally meeting you in person in Vegas!

177 Posts

April 28th, 2011 14:00

Just about a week away... I wanted to let everyone know that we'll be staffing a NetWorker product desk in the Backup and Recovery booth at EMC World.  If you'll be at EMC World, we want to see you at the Community reception of course, but you can also come buy anytime during show hours to have a chat in the booth.  Hope to meet you there.

-Eric

No Events found!