Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2011 21:00

Network Appliance NDMP probe failure

Hi,

I am switching to a new shiny server/tape robot.  My old system (Solaris 10) with Networker 7.6, I am performing NDMP backups from our Network Appliance successfully.

Trying to attempt it on the new Solaris 10 system with Networker 7.6.1, the backup is failing when starting from Networker savegrp.  But if I run the nsrndmp_save manually it works.  It is failing the probe then giving up.  Why it probes I dont know as the netapp is not running nsrexecd and could not possibly respond sensibly??

This is the output from the savegrp:

# savegrp  -vvvv -l full "Monthly Filers Group 2"
32451:savegrp: sponge:/vol/fianna_data1                  level=full
32451:savegrp: sponge:/vol/fianna_rri_data               level=full
32451:savegrp: sponge:/vol/fianna_deskman                level=full
32451:savegrp: sponge:/vol/fianna_opal                   level=full
32451:savegrp: sponge:/vol/fianna_nuctech                level=full
7236:savegrp: Group will not limit job parallelism
32494:savegrp: sponge:probe                                  started
savefs -s sucker.ansto.gov.au -c sponge -g "Monthly Filers Group 2" -p -l full -R -v -F /vol/fianna_data1 /vol/fianna_rri_data /vol/fianna_deskman /vol/fianna_opal /vol/fianna_nuctech
77561:savegrp: command 'savefs -s sucker.ansto.gov.au -c sponge -g "Monthly Filers Group 2" -p -l full -R -v -F /vol/fianna_data1 /vol/fianna_rri_data /vol/fianna_deskman /vol/fianna_opal /vol/fianna_nuctech' for client sponge exited with return code 1
77562:savegrp: job (64008) host: sponge savepoint: sponge:Probe had SEVERE indication(s) at completion
77569:savegrp: Warning: savefs job (64008) output log file is empty
7341:savegrp: sponge:probe abandoned.
32494:savegrp: sponge:index                                  started
save -s sucker.ansto.gov.au -S -g "Monthly Filers Group 2" -LL -f - -m sucker.ansto.gov.au -V -l full -LL -W 78 -N index:7f7fe770-00000004-4ce1cf68-4ce1cf09-005f0014-4fc929ae /nsr/index/sponge
4690:savegrp: Monthly Filers Group 2 waiting for 1 job(s) to complete
77567:savegrp: Monthly Filers Group 2 * sponge:index  See the file /nsr/tmp/sg/Monthly Filers Group 2/sso.sponge.7laafd for output of save command.
7341:savegrp: sponge:index succeeded.
32494:savegrp: sucker.ansto.gov.au:bootstrap                 started
save -s sucker.ansto.gov.au -S -g "Monthly Filers Group 2" -LL -f - -m sucker.ansto.gov.au -V -l 0 -LL -W 78 -N bootstrap -x /nsr/res /nsr/mm
77567:savegrp: Monthly Filers Group 2 * sucker.ansto.gov.au:bootstrap  See the file /nsr/tmp/sg/Monthly Filers Group 2/sso.sucker.ansto.gov.au.8laafd for output of save command.
7341:savegrp: sucker.ansto.gov.au:bootstrap succeeded.
7241:savegrp: nsrim run recently, skipping
#

In daemon.raw it complains about permission denied connecting to the filer "sponge".  Do I need to have rsh setup?  And then what gets run if it has permission to run anything on an ONTAP NetApp?

I think I may me doing something stupid and its just a checkbox I need to tick or untick.  Because it fails the probe it does not even try to run the ndmp stuff...

Thanks,

Ian...

January 4th, 2011 00:00

Hello,

At the first sight, it seems that you did not checked the "ndmp" checkbox in the client resource configuration for the filer. It is in the "Apps & Modules" tab in the "Backup" part.

Hope this helps,

January 4th, 2011 14:00

Thanks Antonio,

That did help.  I was going to try that today (knew it would be something simple), the reason I hadnt was I was unde the misunderstanding that you checked that for if you had a NDMP device attached to the filer.  To add to my confusion it has been working unchecked on my 7.6 system for ages...

My final comment for others that may read this.  You need a patch for 7.6.1, as I got another error after that, like this:

• 39700:nsrndmp_save: Incrementals are not supported, performing full backup
    42794:nsrndmp_save: Performing backup to Non-NDMP type of device
    42652:nsrndmp_save: DSA save time could not be retrieved, exiting..
    6899:nsrdsa_save: Warning: Could not determine job id. Continuing ...
    39078:nsrdsa_save: SYSTEM error: Could not establish jobid with server. (severity 5, number 22, message 4122)
  • nsrdsa_save core dumps on UNIX servers and generates a memory dump on Windows servers

See:

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg116939

Thanks Again.

Ian...

No Events found!