Start a Conversation

Unsolved

4 Posts

October 24th, 2018 00:00

Networker 8-9 Upgrade & Migration Issues

Hi,

I have a Networker 8.2.4 server with Data Domain and i am planning to upgrade it to v9.2 since the extended support is about to end. For the upgrade, i don't want to risk my production, i have set up a parallel hardware, installed the Networker 8.2.4 and presented a consistent copy of nsr from my production server. Networker 8.2.4 is now up and running on test server. I upgraded it with v9.2.1.2, upgrade was successful. However, migration was failed. following was migration result;

Success rate 23.58%

Group resources

==========

Success:    9

Failed:   94

-------

Total:  103

Clone resources

==========

Success:   20

Failed:    0

-------

Total:   20

VMware policies

==========

Success:    0

-------

Total:    0

NAS device resources

==========

Success:    0

-------

Total:    0

Total policy created 2, total workflow created 29, total groups created 123.

I have noticed that all the groups were completely migrated and workflows were created successfully, only the problem i seen was that most of workflows were assigned the "Default" media pool and only few workflows were assigned the appropriate media pool.

I need to know the reason of this problem. Please note that i have not attached Data Domain to this test server.

Can anyone help me in this regard.

BR@

Administrator!

NETWORKER

NetWorkerPM

networkermn

2.4K Posts

October 24th, 2018 05:00

This is hard to say without knowing your groups.

It might be that you have forgotten a resource so that NW could not convert the groups properly. Obviously a pool is missing.

In this case NW might assign the pool Default so that there is a known pool he can send the data to.

5 Posts

November 8th, 2018 05:00

please check how the action is configured
If the affected actions have "Client Can Override" check the pool in the client properties.

If the Pool in the client properties is not set, so you have configured the pool (in NW8) in the Group. In that case you will find the Information in the properties of the media pool: Media Pool --> "Legacy" tab --> Groups: ...

1 Rookie

• 

102 Posts

December 4th, 2018 16:00

as you have issues during migration of groups towards workflows and had more than 100+ groups apparently then might be worthwhile to look into nw9.2.2.  it contains an RFE that is also to be put into nw18.2 in that it creates not just 1 Backup policy during upgrade and then puts all the savegroups that are migrated to workflows under that 1 policy, which goes against Emc advice as a policy should not contain more than 100 workflows to prevent performance and other issues. There are some more recent Emc KB docs that refer to issues while having 70/100/500 groups that migration can fail or that nmc performance is bad.  nw9.2.2 adresses this by only adding 50 workflows to policy Backup and then creates policy Backup_2 and adds the next 50 workflows and so on. It appears to do this also much quicker/in parallel than with nw9.2.1 and also without any migration errors (tested in a specifically created test env with 500 groups and only 1 client assigned to all of the savegroups under nw8. nw9.2.1.2 the emc target release fails while nw9.2.2 does a fine job).  so for larger nw envs this nw9.2.2 appears to be a must and this enhancement is long overdue if Networker is to be regarded as an enterprise product (*)). however which other fixes are part of nw9.2.2 is currently nowhere to be found AFAIK. also remains to be seen what other issues one might run into with nw9.2.2 but for the upgrade it seems to be the only way forward.  (*) multiple of our nw8 envs have 500+ (or even over 1000) savegroups definitions which would very likely cause an upgrade to fail during migration steps.

No Events found!