Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2014 01:00

Networker 8 Server and Storage nodes on Windows 2003 server

Hi All,

I have a question that falls outside of the support matrix.

My environment is running Networker 7.6.2 Server and Dedicated Storage Nodes on Windows 2003 x86 servers, mixed with some Dedicated Storage Nodes running windows 2008.

There are many constraints on upgrading the server OS in my environment.  And we need to upgrade to Networker 8.0 for windows 2012 client support.

I have in my test environment tried the installation on w2k3 for Networker 8.0, and it works without problem so far.

Can anyone share what are the potential risks to use Windows 2003 x86 to run Networker 8.0 servers and dedicated storage nodes?

Regards,

Ben

445 Posts

November 20th, 2014 02:00

Csoben,

There was an architectural change in the software which meant w2k3 would only be supported as a client going forward.

Your internal test may have worked but it could fail at any time depending on hardware/configuration present now or added in future, especially when talking about newer devices, jukeboxes and Virtual Tape Libraries etc.

There have been several instances reported to EMC regarding functionality not working which can only be resolved by OS upgrade or demoting function of the w2k3 server to client.

Best Efforts from support does not mean we can resolve as we have very limited avenue’s once End of Service Life (EOSL) is reached. I would suggest you look at adding dedicated NIC for backups to any storage nodes and consider host transfer for the NetWorker server to different or newer OS.

Regards,

Bill Mason

1.7K Posts

November 20th, 2014 02:00

Hi csoben

Not supported doesn't mean that it doesn't work; having this said, if an OS drops from the support matrix, usually is because some functionalities are not working as expected, some functionalities or features have not been qualified by QA or OS is about to reach EOL, and Windows 2003 will no longer be supported by Microsoft by 07/05/2015 if I remember well; but there are more reasons as of why this is not supported, such as changes in the new OS itself that NW takes advantages of, but these are not usable in previous versions of the OS.

Also, if this is outside the support matrix means that you are not entitled to full support but "best effort", so I wouldn't recommend you to set this up as you could fall outside the support scope.

Thank you,

Carlos

2.4K Posts

November 20th, 2014 03:00

On a larger environment with storage nodes, you will need quite a bunch of RAM. Make sure that your server can handle that especially with Windows 2003 x86.

My recommendation is to use at least Windows 2008R2 for both, server and storage nodes. You do not really want to run a new Ferrari with old fuel or vice-versa.

November 20th, 2014 06:00

Thank you all for your input.

I would like to gather all the shortcomings and limitations for keep using w2k3 and let management decide on the direction.

May I know where I can get these kind of info?

Regards,

Ben

November 20th, 2014 06:00

Thanks all for your inputs.

Hi Carlos, it is my aim to find out the functionalities or features that is missing if I choose to stay with W2k3 x86.  Would you know where and how I can get these info?

It occurs that server owners has their own upgrade roadmap, but it is not my intention to use win2k3 x86 for an extended period of time, it is only an intermediate solution in my environment to meet the deadline of the (already extended) EOS.

445 Posts

November 21st, 2014 02:00

Ben,

What you are looking for does not exist as the reasons for failures/issues reported by other Customers was not investigated due to the EOSL.

If you have tested within your environment and say it works then you have a decision to make which is: -

Rely on your testing results (hopefully the tests you did were comprehensive enough to be confident of the functionality going forward) and do not change anything within the environment with respect to w2K3 (including hardware/software in path to devices etc.) and hope you can survive until the server owners catch up to Supported configuration. If something does go wrong while you’re running on w2k3 then there is little EMC Support will be able to do to assist due to the restrictions EOSL places on them.

Bill Mason

No Events found!