Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

May 20th, 2016 02:00

Networker 9.0 and BBB of HyperV/CSV

Trying to setup Block Based Backup for CSV with HyperV machines stored on it in clustered environment.

But it always falls to full. The policy is correct I believe, since when I apply it to local C: volume, BBB works fine.

Seems this BBB does not support CSV used for Microsoft clustering, or requires some extra configuration.

Anybody has made this BBB to work with Cluster Shared Volume?

Windows 2012 R2

Networker 9.0.0.2 build448

NMM 9.0.0.448

226 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 01:00

To use these backup levels, it is a best practice to create the following schedule policies:

l Incremental Forever, which is used for BBB backups to DDR target.

l Incremental Forever Full on 1st of Month, which performs a full backup on the first

day of each month. This is a best practice for BBB to an AFTD target to limit the depth

of the differencing chain.

When you create a client, NMM enables incremental backups by default. NMM

automatically enables incremental backups for a virtual machine the first time it is

backed up. If you disable incremental backups later, NMM re-enables them. There is no

information attribute to control this behavior.

NMM promotes incremental backups to full under the following circumstances:

l NMM does not find a previous Full of the virtual machine.

l The required Recovery Snapshot cannot be validated.

l Incremental backup is not enabled for the virtual machine.

When one virtual machine backup is promoted to full, NMM does not promote other

virtual machines in the backup set. NMM uses multiple shadowcopy sessions by a single

backup operation to perform full and incremental backups.

14.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2016 02:00

I read original question and this response, but somehow I can't find a link between these two

19 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 04:00

Looks like you cannot use BBB for backup of CSV based resources.

As guide states:

"You can simultaneously see Cluster Shared Volumes (CSVs) across all nodes. The block based backups support only full backups of CSVs"

Not sure about purpose for BBB support for HyperV, when you cannot use it in clustered environment.

14.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2016 07:00

But is it is not that they (EMC) didn't think about it - see https://www.google.com/patents/US9171002

14.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2016 07:00

The quoted part speaks of BBB's supported level for CSV volumes (not sure, but I suspect some anchor used by API is done in such way that it is hard to get incremental block level due to lack of such block checkpoints).

226 Posts

May 24th, 2016 02:00

I wrote that for a reason. Hyper-V VSS BBB over CSV is supported only with Disk based Targets. And above are the scenarios and configurations that you need to do in order for you to achieve Incremental forever backups.

You also need to make sure that IncrementalBackupEnabled" is enabled in Hyper-V.

No Events found!