we are planning to perform networker 9 upgrade from 8.2.2 version.
did anybody performed the networker 9 upgrade and is there issue or limitations found
appreciate if you share your experience/known issues and high level steps for the same.
As the admin GUI is much different, may I suggest that you sit down and install an eval server yourself to familiarize.
What I also do is that I test the upgrade with an 'isolated clone':
- same name
- same IP
- same OS version
- same NetWorker version
- no network connected
- a hosts file with fake entries for all the NW client names. Remember that there are two 'types':
- the configured ones (from the resources)
- all existing ones (from the media index)
This is important as NW will try to resolve the names when it comes up. Just a few missing names will extend the
process pretty much ... test yourself.
Now I run a bootstrap clone to an (A)FTD device which I then copy to the cloned server.
Next I configure the same device type and run the NW disaster recovery to reproceduce the exact NW configuration.
Ready to test the upgrade... Good luck.
Hi, I would wait until least NW9 SP1. I got an answer from EMC Support (Consultant) for the same question:
- wait until SP1
- upgrade is not to easy because many things have changed in NW9. Better is a new Installation on NW9 and after that I would move / integrate the Clients in NW9 (new host). That is not great ... I know
NetWorker 9 is way different than its previous version, you have a advance DB to handle the nsrd requests, you have advance GUI with many more features, and so on, Please refer to the release notes for more details.
I did couple of NW 9 upgrades from 8.x versions, and all wend okay. There are bugs but that is acceptable. I recommend to have EMC Professional Services engaged for the Upgrade as suggested by Gautam G Prakash
i am very happy to receive your valuable response ,
as you have mentioned that you have performed couple of NW 9 upgrades,
based on your experience , kindly advise on below points
* As networker 9 GUI/Features/DB etc, are very different from previous version , hence what is the best upgrade approach ?
a. In place upgrade from 8.2.2 to NW 9.0 on the same server
b. Install fresh NW 9.0 on a separate system/configure clients with 9.0 and keep 8.2.2 setup for restore
* Is the below Upgrade Process/Sequence is correct , or needs modification ?
* Install and configure Networker 9.0 License VM
* Perform Networker 8.2 DB/Boot Strap/NSR Directories backup
* Perform the Networker Server upgrade from 8.2.2 to 9
* Configure Networker Authentication Service
* Upgrade/Install NMC from 8.2.2 to 9.
* Configure networker 9 with License Server
* Check and confirm NW 9 Server Upgrade is successful
* Apply Networker 9 Upgrade Licenses ( as received from EMC licensing)
* Upgrade the Networker Clients/NMM/VBA
* Perform networker Backups/Restore testing
* How much time it can take for a normal upgrade + License Server configuration ? (downtime required for upgrade)
* Do we need to upgrade Data domain OS prior to Networker upgrade?
* As i understand we need to uninstall the NMM/Basic client and install NW 9.0 Clients NMM , do we need to configure the NMM again or previous settings will work as is ?
I would suggest as of now go for NetWorker 8.2 SP3 with latest cumulative fix. In Networker 8.2 SP3 the media catalogue has been migrated to SQLite to take advantage of the huge performance increases this gave in NetWorker 9. It will make the migration path to NetWorker 9.0 a little more streamlined as well. The switch to SQLite is really important; the old format media database was great and stable, but it had limits on the amount of concurrent operations you could do. SQLite is great, stable and a lot more capable of supporting a number of concurrent operations.
In my opinion NetWorker 8.2 SP3 is a perfect launch pad for NetWorker 9.0 Upgrade. Go through the NetWorker 8.2 and later Release Notes.