Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2014 05:00

Networker browse time not enforced

Hello all,

I seem to have an interesting situation with my tapes not being marked as expired or recyclable.

A brief description of my Environment is as follows.

its only one zone. A networker server at a data center. it backs up to a Data Domain box. the data domain box replicates via clone controlled replication to another data domain box at my home office. The proxy server at the home office facilitates a clone job of the data domain box at the office to a tape library for offsite tapes.

I discovered that the tapes were not being automaticly set to be recycled. looking at the save sets, many of them are still browsable well past the custom 2 weekpolicy that the policy is set to on the clients(several months). I followed this back over the savesets on the data domain disks and found that they are still browsable on the original data domain system. I have doublechecked and cannot find ANYwhere that the browse policy is set to anything other than my custom policy of 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Thank you for your time.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

February 5th, 2014 05:00

Have you checked for dependent savesets? Meaning, even if a saveset has reached expiration it will still be browse able if a more recent saveset which is within the browse policy is dependent on it. for example a recent incremental backup dependent on a past full or incremental backup.

You can run an mminfo on any of the old saveset ans check if there are any dependencies.

142 Posts

February 5th, 2014 07:00

I had similiar issue. On more digging I found that it is happening just with Exchange 2010 DAG savesets. We had set the retention policy at DAG members (not at DAG client resource) but when you create an exchange client using wizard it creates a client resource with the DAG name and other servers which are member of the DAG, DAG client resource will have default retention as 1 year and if you do not go and manually change their retention period it is going to be the same.

Which nsr version are you asking? I think nsrim not deleting the expired savesets is also listed as a known issue with 8.0. release notes.

March 14th, 2014 11:00

i finally had a chance to look more into this. I don't believe there is a dependency issue here. for example, I did run an MMINFO to get browse and retention time and found that it did reflect the clone retention time shown on the save set.. at this point the few tapes I am using to troubleshoot are from September. if this was a known issue with 8.0, I will re-label a few and see if that resolves the issue.

I will chime back in when I can.

No Events found!