Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2012 05:00

Networker client deduplication backup fails after client upgrade to 8.0.0.1

I am using networker client backup to Avamar deduplication node.

After client upgrade from 7.6.x to 8.0.0.1 all backup fails with error

Networker server is 8.0 version

90029:save: Saving with deduplication enabled.

C:\EXAMPLE.TXT

Spawning avtar failed5203:save: save failed on \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy571\EXAMPLE.TXT

74209:save: Quit signal received.

Failed with error(s)

The only solution I found is rerun the 8.0 setup with "repair" option.

New fresh 8.0 installation has not mentioned problem.

Steps to reproduce the bug:

1. Install Client 7.6.x

2. Configure deduplication backup for this client on server

3. Start backup - result OK

4. Upgrade client to 8.0

5. Start backup - backup failed with "Spawning avtar failed"

6. Rerun 8.0 setup with option "repair" on client

7. Start backup - result OK

My question is, how to upgrade clients without running setup again and repair option??

Martin

14.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 00:00

I do not have setup as yours so I can only guess... but from what you wrote you used update option (normally, nothing wrong with that).  It seems as something goes wrong during update and registering of files or registry as repair is uninstall and install. So, I guess - based on your problem and assuming this is a general issue - with NW8 (current version as of this writing) and in combination with Avamar one should upgrade not using Update button, but rather uninstall old version and install new one (comes handy to know if using some software to deploy clients).  Of course, assuming you used Update button....

29 Posts

September 7th, 2012 04:00

Official answer from support, networker should not be upgraded, but uninstalled before install new version. The "update" button in setup program should there no appear. So, maybe, developers disable update feature or repair the upgrade process. I do not know which way they will go.

326 Posts

September 10th, 2012 19:00

hi redm

it's documented in NW8 Install Guide in page 40 task 4 to uninstall before install

29 Posts

September 16th, 2012 23:00

Yes it is documented, but the setup allows update. Support told me, there should not be the update button and probably will be repaired in some new version.

14.3K Posts

September 17th, 2012 05:00

Probablty setup should check if other NW modules are installed... and if they disallow update option.  Problem here is that avtar is part of NW distribution thus this gets a bit harder, but I assume they could check for existence of local Avamar database on client and base their case upon it.

No Events found!