Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2016 08:00

Networker client does not backup

I have a strange client backup problem here with a Windows client, this problem came about after default gateway was moved to another NIC and set to a different value.

When we try to backup we get savefs returned no savesets; on troubleshooting we have seen RPC error trying to access client resources  with nsradmin (but no problem if I add -D9); all name resolution appears correct and consistent on both client and server.  We see the following error client side:

16/02/2016 16:04:02  1 nsrexecd SYSTEM Cannot resolve host WINS_SERVER_NAME' to 'IP_ADDRESS_OF_OLD_DEFAULT_GATEWAY', the DNS or client may be misconfigured.

We do use DNS and have verified that the DNS servers used by both client and server are returning consistent information; there is a hosts table which is consistent too.  I have no idea why Networker is trying to resolve the WINS_SERVER_NAME (which can be either primary or secondary WINS server) to the old default gateway value (that is not used anymore).  Also we are using backup network which has been verified as routable (the default gateway was moved from the management NIC to the production NIC, not to the third NIC which is the backup NIC.

We have seen some authentication errors; certificates have been removed from server and nsr\tmp and nsr\res and servers have been deleted.

Actual error in backups is savefs returned no savesets.

Any ideas?

David

We are going to try that next, just waiting for my colleague to run it.

We have no name resolution issues; all DNS name resolution is correct and consistent on server and client.  The only thing not resolving is the old default gateway which was changed 5 months ago; we have been unable to find any reference to it anywhere though Networker mentions it in the error logs.

One more thing, running the savefs command locally returns the correct savesets!

2.4K Posts

Back to the basics ...

Try to backup a disk/directory manually from the client using the command line (save).

If it fails, add more verbosity or increase the debug level to retrieve more info.

To avoid (tmp) name resolution issues, you can also use hosts tables.

February 16th, 2016 09:00

Problems accessing the Networker client resources are also tempermental, from backup server:

>nsradmin -p 390113 -s clientname

NetWorker administration program.

Use the "help" command for help, "visual" for full-screen mode.

nsradmin> p

Lost connection to NSR server: RPC send operation failed; errno = Broken pipe

Rebound to specific service

RPC send operation failed; errno = Broken pipeNo resources found for query:

name: ;

type: ;

nsradmin> . type:NSRLA

Current query set

nsradmin> p

Lost connection to NSR server: RPC send operation failed; errno = Connection reset by peer

RPC send operation failed; errno = Connection reset by peerNo resources found for query:

type: NSRLA;

nsradmin> p

name: clientname;

nsrmmd version: ;

nsrsnmd version: ;

NW instance info operations: ;

NW instance info file: ;

installed products: ;

auth methods: "0.0.0.0/0,oldauth";

max auth attempts: 8;

administrator: No privilege to view administrator list;

arch: Windows Server 2003;

kernel arch: INTEL_PENTIUM;

CPU type: INTEL_PENTIUM;

machine type: server;

NetWorker version: 8.1.2.6.Build.478;

client OS type: Windows NT Server on Intel;

CPUs: 4;

MB used: 30806;

IP address: IP addresses;

nsradmin> p

Lost connection to NSR server: RPC send operation failed; errno = Connection reset by peer

RPC send operation failed; errno = Connection reset by peerNo resources found for query:

nsradmin>

Supposedly no firewall, tracert output shows it going one hop to core switch and another to backup server.

I can confirm a save from the command line on the client works successfully (using backup network which is also configured in the server network interface field).

2.4K Posts

February 16th, 2016 10:00

Looks weird. Maybe the backup network is (indirectly) the troublemaker.

AFAIR this only transfers the backup data - all 'standard' communication will still use the 'normal' domain network.

Maybe you want to check this.

2.4K Posts

I also do not have a straight answer. So far I can only suggest that you update the software to the latest version supported (NW 8.1.3 for Windows 2003).

This is one of the weirdest ones I have seen Bingo!  Anyway, I have an update.  We set a dummy hosts entry for the old gateway IP address and the backup does not give those errors anymore.  It is still not successful but we can now return probe information but here is the weird part, it will only do it if logging is set to -vvv, if I use -D9 logging it does not probe successfully.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

February 16th, 2016 18:00

If you changes are recent it might be that NetWorker is holding on to the old ip configuration. I would suggest you run the following command on the backup server

dbgcommand -p pid flushdnscache - where pid is the proccess id for the nsrd

February 17th, 2016 02:00

We have reinstalled the software but could look at upgrading it though I am not confident that will address the problem.

February 17th, 2016 02:00

We'll take a look at this, though the change was nearly 5 months ago, not too sure how long this data will be cached for...

February 17th, 2016 04:00

Flushing cache had no effect.  This morning nsradmin -p 390113 -s client was unsuccessful for client on production network (no connection) but successful on backup network; restarted client and both were successful.  Backups have reverted to failing with

* client:All A host address mismatch is detected for 'WINS_SERVER'

error.

I'm going to get a colleague to open a ticket with EMC for me and see if they have any ideas.

No Events found!