Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 6th, 2015 08:00

Networker module for Microsoft (SQL) can't get a redirected restore to work

I was trying to get this setup in a production environment however the procedure for redirected restore seems to be quite confusing.

I have setup a lab environment and now trying to fully test it there.

Got a networker 8.2.0 server with DD attached.  2 hosts both are Windows 2008 R2 OS and have SQL 2008 R2 installed on both.  Have a Northwind sample database on one node and trying to restore to an alternate server.  I have version 8.2.1 of Networker client and also module for MS loaded on both.

I did make a few full SQL backups on the node with the sample db. And when I am trying to execute the procedure as described starting on Page 38 of the user guide for MS module.  First of all, it is asking to use Networker module for MS GUI not SQL.

1. I select the NW server

2. Add the alternate client to the client list

3. Then when I try to find the recover options I do not see the options that are described in the procedure but also when I select the source client and looks at logs in Monitor I states that no backups or snapshots were found.

I did try to a few different values for Recover Browse Time but no go.  However, because I am only trying to backup and restore SQL databases and not the filesystem I kind of understand why it complains about "no backups" because there are none for filesystem and I am using the GUI for MS module.

Once I get into SQL user I see all the backups and list of all DBs.  I mark the Northwind db and try to go to Restore Options however I get access denied every time I try this. Both Networker client and module for MS was installed using the same domain account which has local admin priviledges. It is also sysadmin (SA) in SQL with full access.

Either way, what gives?  Why can't I see the correct restore options and specify the redirected restore options?

I also noticed one of the pre-reqs:

"Ensure that the SQL database is marked on the client host where directed

recovery browsing is performed, otherwise the SQL tab is not displayed for

directed recovery browsing"

You can mark the databases in user for SQL gui but there is no such thing in NW module for MS gui.

Very confusing.  Can someone with expertise please assisst?

14.3K Posts

March 6th, 2015 10:00

Is this VSS or VDI backup?

14.3K Posts

OK, so you have backup of some DB on host A.  Now, go to host B and do restore.  For that, make sure you set permissions on remote access list of client A to allow client B to list those backups. Use NW SQL User GUI for that.

VDI

March 6th, 2015 11:00

I have *@* in remote access field under host A properties in Networker.  When on Host B and SQL user gui I am seeing the list of backups from Host A.  But when I try open restore options I get "Access Denied" error.  But also if I just hit restore it shows me that nsrsqlrc.exe is not found.  I have installed networker client and nmm yesterday and there were no issues with the install.  Something is broken...

14.3K Posts

March 6th, 2015 11:00

Access denied here might mean that user you use on machine B does not have right to insert data in SQL or create datafiles on system (check which paths you are using).

Are you sure your paths are set correctly? I just checked and both SQL GUI and CLI command are in same folder.

No Events found!