stcnike
1 Copper

Networker reporting

New NW admin here. I'm trying to provide a report to my leadership about the amount of data backed up by each NW datazone (we have multiple).

Does anyone have any suggestions what tools or reports can provide me answers to the following questions?

- How many TB is the NW server protecting? In other words, it would be somthing similar to me doing a "df -k" on all of my unix servers protected by NW and summing up either the used or total capacity. Mainly, I want the total protected TB per NW client so I can sum it up, and possibly categorize by line of business or by app. I would provide the hostname-to-LOB mapping by using our own CMDB.

- How many TB is backed up to each device over a 1-week or 1-month period? I'd like to be able to categorize how much data is going to tape vs disk. We would use this as a metric to measure our progression to a tapeless environment.

I know DPA has all this but we don't have that available to us, at least not for several months. What I have at my disposal is

1) NW Management Console

2) Verbose output from networkerquick.sh for each NW server

3) command line access to each NW server

Thanks for your ideas!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
bingo.1
4 Beryllium

Re: Networker reporting

DPA is powerful for shure but IMHO it a nightmare to configure if your don't use it every day.

Furthermore you have another tool which might cause problems.

I think it is a good idea to rely exclusively on NetWorker's media index - it is the only db that really counts.

What I do is that I generate a report using mminfo like this:

mminfo -s <server> -q "savetime>-1month,!suspect" -r "client,name,level,type,savetime,sscreate(20),sscomp(20),volume,pool,family,group,ssid,totalsize(15),nfiles,sumflags,ssflags" -ot -xc; > outfile

This may look weird but this is only one report which 'loads' the NW server - the rest can be done by running other reports from this report. I use Powershell for this purpose. For instance you could ...

- easily summarize the column 'totalsize' and find out the total amount

- sort by client, filter the table for his save sets and summarize that

- find out the largest save set

- the one with the longest duration

- the one with the most files

and so on. Just to give you an idea.

0 Kudos