Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

January 25th, 2013 11:00

Networker server Upgrade and Migration

I currently have a Networker 7.6.3 server with the NMC running on it as well on a Win03 platform.  I have upgraded the storage node to 8.0 and am ready to move forward.  I would like to build a fresh 2008R2 server with much greater horsepower and throughput and move the management server and NMC to it.  Does anyone know of a good doc that refers to this?  I tried the procedure generator but couldn't extract the scenario as described (assuming I didn't hose it up unknowingly anyway).  Any input is appreciated.  This is a lightly loaded environment with less than 20 clients one storage node and one mgmt/nmc server.

2.4K Posts

January 25th, 2013 13:00

In general this would be nothing else but a NW 'disaster recovery' to a new machine.

This is pretty well described in the  "NetWorker Disaster Recovery Guide", available from EMC Powerlink.

15 Posts

January 30th, 2013 09:00

Thanks Bingo.  That's probably the one doc I haven't looked at!

326 Posts

January 31st, 2013 14:00

You may want to check out NPG too

15 Posts

February 6th, 2013 10:00

I found the migration option in the NPG but I have a snag.  The source server is windows 2003 with NW7.6.3 and the target server is a 2008R2 box.  I don't get an option for that scenario and I'm wondering if it matters.  I know 7.6.x can reside on 2008 but the way the NPG prompts you it doesnt give an option for dissimilar OSs or if it is permissable.  My thought is to migrate over then upgrade to 8.  Anyone run into that scenario?

14.3K Posts

February 6th, 2013 10:00

It's doesn't matter. Depending on GID, which should not change if you do upgrade (but might change if moving from one OS to another via new installation or new hardware with identical name) you may see hostid changing and in that case license host transfer is required (which is free anyway I believe).

15 Posts

February 7th, 2013 05:00

Thanks for the help Hrvoje.  It's been a couple years since you've covered my six.  While I'm here any thoughts on steps during this migration for the NMC? Since I lightly use Networker anymore I run my NMC on the mgmt server being migrated.  I'm assuming I'll just install it over to the new box and migrate its data like the server.  Curious, I still have the ability to go the same hostname route as I just built the target server fresh.  Is it a big enough difference in terms of simplicity to keep the names the same?  I'll generate a procedure under that scenario and take a look.

Thanks to all who took a look and offered their time. I will try and remember to get back with results, thoughts, and lessons learned for the next poor sap who needs to do this between their other fires.

14.3K Posts

February 7th, 2013 13:00

Do you use NMC to collect data.  I believe not many do so, but perhaps I'm wrong.  If not using it to collect historical data, just forget about and install it from scratch.  If using it, just make sure you copy lgtonmc folder and that's it (while NMC is stopped).

No Events found!