Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

January 7th, 2014 13:00

Networker v8.1.1 installation

We are currently migrating our backup server v7.6.5 from Linux environment to Networker v8.1.1 on Windows 2012 R2. I have initially installed Networker software on it and unistalled it when the consultant advised us to remove it. The Networker server was reinstalled by the consultant and needed to rename the server because it was used by the previous/initial install. We are now having setup, config and performance issues and apparently it was caused by the initial install of the Networker Server software. Also not sure why we need to rename the server if the first/initial install used the original server name.

Please advise if there are known cases or issues in regards to intalling and uninstalling Networker server sofwtare. From my previous experience, I never had this issue before.

Thanks

1.2K Posts

January 7th, 2014 20:00

Can you reinstall the NetWorker Server without renaming it? We'd better not rename a NetWorker Server. If a NetWokrer server is renamed, its clientid will be changed and many issues can occur.

January 7th, 2014 21:00

Hi,

The main concern will be the Networker server client id (related Previous backups )& the host id (requires for licensing)

While performing the migration process , we need to makesure the Networker server client id doesn't change or pick up a new one.

Host id which is required will be changed which can be authorized by sending an email to licensing@emc.com with your existing licenses & the new host id + the new update enabler which was generated during upgrade of Networker version from 7.6.5 to 8.1.1

HTH

Regards

Hari Prakash.

14.3K Posts

January 8th, 2014 01:00

lpamintuan wrote:

We are currently migrating our backup server v7.6.5 from Linux environment to Networker v8.1.1 on Windows 2012 R2. I have initially installed Networker software on it and unistalled it when the consultant advised us to remove it. The Networker server was reinstalled by the consultant and needed to rename the server because it was used by the previous/initial install. We are now having setup, config and performance issues and apparently it was caused by the initial install of the Networker Server software. Also not sure why we need to rename the server if the first/initial install used the original server name.

Please advise if there are known cases or issues in regards to intalling and uninstalling Networker server sofwtare. From my previous experience, I never had this issue before.

Thanks

You do not seem to be familiar with this software, but description you gave makes me wonder if the consultant you mentioned was familiar as well.  My points:

• You do not say how migration from Linux to Windows was done. Failure to do that properly may cause issues.
  • There is no need to rename host for reinstallation.  If I had to guess, I would say that once old server was brought down, new windows box was renamed to the same name as old Linux box.  Nevertheless, for that no reinstallation is needed as you must replace NW databases and not binaries. Anything else is mumbo jumbo.
  • When you say performance problems, that can be anything.  Do you have performance problems with backup of clients or also server itself?  Did you do tests initially (when you did installation) in a way that you can compare results now with migrated database (eg, backup of client A before and after migration using Windows box)?

I'm not aware of any issues and not sure why you even moved from Linux to Windows, but everyone has their own path to follow. And most importantly, II'm not sure why you combined NSR and OS platform migration into one - that is not recommended at all (not to mention that you went to 8.1SP1 which is DA). 

41 Posts

January 8th, 2014 07:00

Hrvoje,

Actually we are not migrating. We are setting up a second backup server and keeping the Linux server with Networker v7.6.5 for our legacy backup clients - AIX and NetWare O/S which is are not supported with Networker v8.

The new Windows 2012 backup server with NW v8.1 will be setup/built with the just the backup clients, schedules, directives and media pools from the previous server, all client indexes & media databases will not be migrated.

As for the O/S of choice, I prefer staying with Linux but the consulants have no solid reason why we cannot go to Windows, hence the decision was made to go that path.

14.3K Posts

January 8th, 2014 08:00

Check your original post - you said migrating

Well, why don't you stay with Linux then?  When it comes to troubleshooting and tuning, Linux still beats Windows. Windows might be more "out-of-the-box", but one size does not fit all - you must tune it soon or later anyway.

If I were you, I would stay away from new stuff. 2012 R2 was released when?  November 2013?  You wish to deploy version of backup software which is not yet GA?  Sorry, but I can't see that as serious data protection plan.  When it comes to backup, I tend to use something proven and something others already broke their teeth on - as you do not wish to break yours when you need to run so much needed restore.

No Events found!