June 28th, 2016 19:00

Networker with Data Domain Boost

Hi all,

I have topology:

Topo.jpg

I have already configured:

- Backup with networker 01 (step 01, 02) and data store in /data/col1/nw1

- Replicator Mtree (step 03): from /data/col1/nw1 to /data/col1/nw1-bk

I want to configure recovery with netowker 02 (step 04, 05) to get data in /data/col1/nw1-bk. But I don't know how to do this.

Please help me. thanks!

2.4K Posts

June 28th, 2016 23:00

As you only replicate the 'backup media' but not the media index entries, NW02 does not know about the backups NW01 runs. They work independently.

In general, it is the same procedure as if you would bring a backup tape from site a to site b.

In this case you can only scan the backup device (scanner -m|-i device) to add the backup to NW02.

Then it should be available for restores.

41 Posts

June 29th, 2016 00:00

Hi Bingo,

Thank for your help! Can you show me detail "In this case you can only scan the backup device (scanner -m|-i device) to add the backup to NW02. Then it should be available for restores"?

14.3K Posts

June 29th, 2016 07:00

Since you use ddboost, is there a reason why you don't use CCR?  Then you simply cluster server or replicate its /nsr...

2.4K Posts

June 29th, 2016 08:00

The useage is pretty easy - simply follow the appropriate command listed in the CLI Reference (aka manpage) or the online help:

C:\>scanner -?

usage: scanner [ ] -B device

or  scanner [ ] -B -S ssid [-im] device

or  scanner [ ] -i [-S ssid] [-c client] [-N name] [-y retention time] device

or  scanner [ ] -m [-S ssid] [-y retention time] device

or  scanner [ ] [-S ssid] [-c client] [-N name] device

: [-b pool] [-npqvk] [-f file] [-r record] [-s server] [-t type] [-V volname] [-Z datazone-id]

: -x command [arg ...]

C:\>

As you can see you and scan the whole volume or certain save sets.

'-m' will only recover the volume/save set information

'-i'   will also add the file index information

"scanner -m -S ssid device" is a valid command. However, it does not make sense to run as it will not provide you additional information (you got the ssid already which you specified).

Remember that you must create the necessary resources (especially devices, clients & pool) first.

41 Posts

June 29th, 2016 19:00

bingo,  I still know your way. This issue: when nw02 add device data domain boost (DD02), it make new mtree in DD02, and not see mtree (replicator created). So, how it can get data synced? Can you show me details? thanks!

2.4K Posts

June 29th, 2016 22:00

Unfortunately I can't as I have never setup such scenario. But maybe another member has a clue.

3 Posts

July 1st, 2016 10:00

Hi,

what is networker 02? Is it a server? If so, why do you need two networker server?

With only one networker server, but two storage nodes (each for each data domain) you can achieve what you require.

backup is taken in step 01 from client 01, using storage node 01, to dd 01.

then, networker server will clone (CCR) the data to dd02.

If you need to restore to client 02 from dd02, just mark the save sets required as suspect in dd01 (from NMC it is easy to do this) and then just start recover on client 02, networker server will use the data from dd02 via step 4 and 5.

hope it helps

96 Posts

July 7th, 2016 07:00

I think you need to be sure what you need... if you are thinking on a high availability solution for your Backup environment, the you should consider a clustered solution for your networker server.

In this scenario, you could have a networker server node in site 1, with nsr in a LUN 1. The networker server node 2 in the other site, with nsr in a LUN 2. Then you could replicate LUN1 and LUN2. Networker server 2 and LUN2 could be in a stand-by mode.

I have not implemented this solution... but it could helps.

96 Posts

July 7th, 2016 07:00

Of course... apart of clustered networker server, you should do CCR between Datadomains.

No Events found!