Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2012 06:00

Operations on DataDomain VTL fail with error there was not a device file name passed into cdi

I am using Networker 7.6.1, and a DataDomain VTL with over 2000 slots and 40 drives.

Somehow the tapes got mixed inside the VTL and the Networker server finds different volumes than expected.

I ran an Inventory job with Force load and verify labels option checked.

Due to the large number of slots I decided to Inventory smaller intervals of tapes ( 0-> 300 and so on).

However, some of the operations on the VTL fail with status "there was not a device file name passed into cdi", this includes Inventory jobs and other ops like labeling a tape.

Can anyone provide additional info regarding this ?

Thanks and regards,

Bogdan

14.3K Posts

November 21st, 2012 13:00

With DD VTL, CDI should be disabled.  This is also documented.

I'm not sure why do you get issue you get (funny enough, I also have setup with 40 drives and 2100 slots), but I haven't had this before. If tapes are mixed inside, is it mixed inside VTL or nsrjb database.  If you are not familiar with DD, one easy mistake to do is to create tapes with same barcode which already exists (for example you create tape range in vault with same barcodes as already imported to VTL which then can cause havoc of course) so you may wish to inspect the list (from DD, do vtl tape show all and check for duplicates and any label outside expected slot).

544 Posts

November 21st, 2012 14:00

Hi Bogdan,

That is weired, this should be disabled as Hrvoje mentioned, I dont know if there any issues or bugs related to that problem with NetWorker 7.6.1 or not. Please open the properties of the Data Domain Devices that resulting this error message and in the configuration tab - Advanced tab , ensure that common device interface (CDI) is set to Not used with No reserve release. This setting should pertains to tape volumes and does not apply to NetWorker Data Domain devices.

Hope this helps you,

Ahmed Bahaa

November 22nd, 2012 01:00

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help, however, I am unable to find the CDI option in the DD VTL. Also, I have noticed that the error only appears when using tapes from slots 1-400 and not from 400-2000+.

I am trying to unmount some unlabeled volumes stuck in some of the VTL drives that belong to the 1-400 interval., but somehow I am unable to do that, the Unload job is queued and then it fails.

Unfortunately, the backup jobs are running and I would appreciate it if you could provide me with a way to force dismount those virtual drives, but keep backup running in the same time.

Thanks and regards,

Bogdan

14.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 07:00

Bogdanionut.badea wrote:

Thanks for your help, however, I am unable to find the CDI option in the DD VTL. Also, I have noticed that the error only appears when using tapes from slots 1-400 and not from 400-2000+.

CDI setting is in available for each NSR device in advanced tab I believe.

Bogdanionut.badea wrote:

I am trying to unmount some unlabeled volumes stuck in some of the VTL drives that belong to the 1-400 interval., but somehow I am unable to do that, the Unload job is queued and then it fails.

Unfortunately, the backup jobs are running and I would appreciate it if you could provide me with a way to force dismount those virtual drives, but keep backup running in the same time.

There are two possible situations here:

a) your order of devices is not correct.  In that case you won't be able to dismount volumes because there is no right link to them.  I don't know how you configured devices (using which methods), but this sounds as possible issue.

b) it is possible that nsrmmd is stuck - rather unlikely for several of them, but still possible.  In that case you can reset device using nsrmm -Hv -f .

If I was you, I would stop all groups and wait for backup that do run (if they run) to complete and would retest each path for each drive on OS level.

49 Posts

December 27th, 2013 01:00

Hi,

I have encountered this issue when VTL tape gets stuck in drive and does not unmount.

There are 2 ways to get around this.

1. Reboot the Data domain (not a preffered option as it required downtimes and approvals)

2. Issue a LIP to the port on DD. locate the DD port which is connected and zoned to the backup server/Storage node, Make sure the VTL library is not in use, Delete the library, Delete the devices, Disable the DD port and re-enable it after 5 minutes,

Reconfigure the VTL library.

example,

vtl port disable 4a

vtl port enable 4a

No Events found!