Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2011 20:00

POOR NDMP RESTORE PERFORMANCE

I am running netapp on tap 7.3.5.1  in a 2008 R2 environment and am getting terrible restore performance.  I average about 10mb/s and I am not quite sure why.  Non-NDMP restores locally to our Networker server hit about 50mb/sec.   Our network is 1gb all the way through with full duplex enabled.  Anyone have any ideas?

10 Posts

August 7th, 2011 18:00

I have a similar performance issue with restores from my Celerra-based NDMP clients.  Any sort of "read" operation on my Celerras seem to under perform.  The restores coming from the NAS boxes are generally small, so that hasn't been a show stopper.  But any clone/stage operations see the same weak performance... generally hovering around 10-25 mb/sec.  My first thought was maybe a block size mismatch between the virtual and physical devices used for staging/cloning, but that wouldn't explain the same performance on the restores.  Hopefully someone has some good input... 

7 Posts

August 7th, 2011 19:00

I apologize I am not familiar with the terms as this is a new implementation but I know I am not directly attached to a filer and I am not backing up to tape, I am backing up to disk so I must be using Networker DSA.

8 Posts

Are you using tape, directly attached to filer, or three way backup via NetWorker DSA?

7 Posts

JasonLee thanks for the response.  Tomorrow I think what I am going to do is bring up a networker server in the same subnet as the netapp filer and see how the restores go.  I shouldn't have to do this but it seems like either my networker isnt able to push the data out fast enough or my netapp filer isnt able to take in the data fast enough but that's where I am right now.  I hope there are others in the community who can provide some input.

6 Posts

Emc mentioned to me before that cloning throughput is much lower than your backups because networker isn't multiplexing the data. Far as I know there aren't any plans to fix this. I get between 25-30mbps when cloning my backup data offsite.

Restores probably work the same way as the clones. /shrug

Isaac

8 Posts

August 8th, 2011 03:00

Could you check option ndmpd.tcpnodelay.enable on filer. If it is set to "false", could you try changing it to "true" and repeat restore. There are chances that it will help. I have seen exactly the same issue on multiple installations, but had not yet got possibility to systematically debug it.

To change option - log in to filer using command line (telnet by default) and use

options ndmpd.tcpnodelay.enable true

6 Posts

August 8th, 2011 03:00

Disk to disk backup via nas

7 Posts

August 8th, 2011 04:00

I will check this out today and get back to you. At least let you know what the setting is.  I can change the setting afterwards and test the backup.  Thanks for the post and I hope this answers my question.

This seems like it will help both the backups and restores.

No Events found!