Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2010 09:00

Permanent licensing

Hi list,
I am new to EMC Networker...I am a TSM Senior Consultant and I have now an EMC Networker to take care of...I have an environment running NW 7.5 on Windows 2008....several NW Clients both on Windows and Linux....and several NW Modules for SAP and Oracle, also on Linux and Windows.
The NW Server, 2 Storage Nodes and 4 NW Module for SAP with Oracle are running with an enabler that will expire 6 days from now.
I have already downloaded the permanent licence, auth and enabler keys from the EMC Powerlink website for the NW Server and StgNodes...and entered it through the Licensing option at the NW Management Console.
I´ve read something about having to delete the enablers that show up in the Registration option at the NW Administration console...but I cannot do it....I get this message saying that I cannot delete it...
Also...yesterday the Licensing option was showing "Authorized - No expiration date" at the EXPIRATION DATE collumn...today it is showing "Never Ran"....what does it mean?
The whole process is very confusing....Any help is appreciated.
Mario

22 Posts

March 24th, 2010 10:00

Hello Mario -

1) If you've applied the permanent enablers and the auth codes, then those licenses should be confirmed as 'no expiration'. Nothing in my experience leads me to believe that NetWorker would undo this operation once it's successfully completed.

2) I don't think you need to delete the temporary codes. Those should just expire and NetWorker should simply consume the permanent enablers. But you should be able to delete after expiration. I do this on my test server all the time.

3) When you 'delete' a license, NetWorker makes you perform the action twice to minimze risk to operator error.

4) The 'Never ran' message is unfamiliar to me. Is this status asosciated with the temp enablers or the permanent enablers? I can't determine from your posting.

NetWorkerPM .

22 Posts

Another thought....if it's gotten so messed up that you want to wipe it clean and start over, you should be able to remove and reapply the permanent enablers and auth codes.

20 Posts

Mario,

There is a licensing process document on Powerlink that walks you through how to permanently authorise license codes in NetWorker... Look at pages 18 and 19 in this document: http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-007-566_a03.pdf,  hoping that you have access to Powerlink.

based on what you have posted, it sounds like your authorization process was successful.

btw, is this a new NetWorker environment you are managing? are you backing up to disk? tape? both

Anu

19 Posts

March 24th, 2010 11:00

Hi,

The "Never Ran" status is associated with the permanent licenses entered.

Mario

19 Posts

March 24th, 2010 13:00

Hi Anu,

I have both.....actually this is the environment I have:

1 NW Server with a DELL PowerVault TL4000 Tape Library connected (SCSI)

1 Stg Node with a DELL PowerVault 132-T Tape Library connected (SCSI)

1 Stg Node with a MD-1000 Disk Storage connected

As far as I can tell, there is no Staging configured (which is kind of a surprise...), but as I am starting to take care of an on going environment, I just want to understand it fully and to make some things right, like using the Staging feature for instance. I am having a hard time

I am used to IBM TSM....so I am familiar with most of the concepts associated with Backup softwares....but Networker is a little bit different from TSM.

About the licenses....I have successfully registered the 2 StgNodes permanent licenses, but the NW Server license enabler in use is still the EVAL one. The permanent license for the NW Server appears at the Licensing option only.....with the "Never Ran" status.

Best regards,

Mario

20 Posts

March 25th, 2010 08:00

Mario,

Thanks for the information about your environment.

Will get back to you on the never ran status....btw, do you have permanent license keys and auth codes for the NetWorker Server license enabler?

19 Posts

March 25th, 2010 09:00

Hi Anu,

Yes, I do....and I´ve already inserted it using the Licensing option on the NW Management Console window. It is there....with the "Never ran" status.

Mario

20 Posts

March 27th, 2010 07:00

Mario,

Try deleting all your temporary licenses, and install the permanent ones. see if that helps!

Anu

No Events found!