Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2009 00:00

Polyserve + NetWorker

Hi,

Has anyone have an experience with HP Polyserve appliance and NW? There are over 300 000 000 files which is about 1500 TB (1,5 PETA) and it has to be backed up at the file level (!). There is another question whether NW can implement something which will look like TSM "incremental forever" and will not kill the NW installation?

244 Posts

Definitely it is not on listed in NW Compatibility Guide, but NW is listed as supported backup software on Polyserve documentation. Regarding "Incremental forever" I agree that NW got different point of view than TSM and it is not optimized for that. That's why I was asking for that - maybe someone knows something about NW plans (version 8 or something) about implement something like IF. Do you have an experience with backup of so many files and so many data?

14.3K Posts

Incremental forever can be done, but this is not what NW is optimised for (it follows different logic). If appliance is not on the list of tested ones, you might not get full support so it would good thing to check that first.

443 Posts

March 1st, 2009 21:00

The thing that worked for me with a large number of files was moving to Avamar. In terms of NW, there used to be a product called snap image, I am not sure if it still exists and if it does, if it is available for your OS. I have used it with Windows and found it to improve the backup times to some extent.

14.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2009 09:00

Do you have an experience with backup of so many files and so many data?

It depends on your retention. If retention is small snapshot on disk would be acceptable. If not, de-dupe sounds as something to consider.

244 Posts

March 4th, 2009 04:00

Unfortunately I don't know what filesystem is used by Polyserve on its backend. What I know is that it is using simple disks (JBOD) as it's backend so I believe it will not be possible to do snapshots neither from hardware layer or volume manager layer.
No Events found!