Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2011 05:00

Poolname - rename ?

Hi,

is it possible to rename a pool ? Where in Networker are the dependencies on the name-part of the pool ?

We are looking for a way to give a number of our pools a new name without having to "clean out" all the pools (staging all data to newly created pool(s) is not an option as it concerns mulitple PBytes of data scattered over physical tapes, VTL, AFTD and DataDomain)

TIA,

Marc Van den Eynden

736 Posts

November 30th, 2011 06:00

Hi Marc,

This functionality (poolnames can have underscores and hyphens) will not be in NetWorker 7.6 series, but will be in the next major release of NetWorker which will come out next year.

-Bobby

14.3K Posts

November 28th, 2011 06:00

Hi Marc,

Renaming pool means delete old one and create new one.  Since you can't create old one as long as at least one volume is associated with it in media database that means you can't do it while you have any data or volume associated with that pool.  If there would be way to propagate such change across mdb then it would be possible.  EMC might have such tooling (I don't know), but to my knowledge if it even exists it is not poblic.

736 Posts

November 28th, 2011 07:00

As far as I know, no tool exists that would change the pool name for existing volumes.  It can't be changed for old volumes.  The reason is because the pool name is part of the tape label as explained here.

-Bobby

9 Posts

November 29th, 2011 01:00

We currently have poolnames with underscores and hyphens.

I heared somewhere that EMC is to support underscores in poolnames as of 7.6 SP3 which is expected in December 2011... Can somebody confirm this ?

This still leaves us with one problem (the hyphens "-" in our poolnames). Will this also be supported in that release ? If not, is it planned for a future release ?

736 Posts

November 29th, 2011 02:00

Thanks Marc, I understand now.  I looked this up and this change has already been developed so that both underscore and hyphen will be accepted in pool names in order that users of FSC NetWorker can migrate. I don't know which version of NetWorker this will be available in.  I'll ask around and let you know.

-Bobby

736 Posts

Hi Marc,

I don't know if there are any plans to have hyphens or underscores supported for poolnames.  Is there a particular reason why you need these?  I don't understand how you have poolnames with hyphens in them right now if it isn't supported.  Do your poolnames need to correspond to something outside of NetWorker? 

-Bobby

9 Posts

Hi Bobby,

We are currently using the Fujitsu version of Networker (FSC Networker v7.5). And we are now migrating towards EMC Networker 7.6.

In FSC Networker poolnames with underscores and hyphens were allowed. In FSC Networker there were also a lot of other "neat things" and features not found in EMC-networker, but all of these are more or less in the "nice-to-have"-category, but the poolname issue is a blockingpoint for us now...

Wondering however if it would be possible to completely "de-couple" the external presentation name resource from the actual internal value in future versions of Networker. I know of other products that have this way of working (Internally all things have their own unique numeric value and the name representation towards the outside is just a label that translates to this internal value. The result is that you can rename everything at any time to your own convenience. Seems like a good way of looking at it...

Marc

No Events found!