Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2009 08:00

PowerSnap Problem

We are currently evaluating PowerSnap on Networker 7.4.4 and we keep getting the following error : -

25065:nsrsnap_save:D:\: Could not find out whether it can be snap-shotted.

We have set the client to run in DEBUG and the last message we see is : -

[SnapCopyService.cpp 342] It's NOT a NAS fs, checking if \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE16 is snapshot supported.

A couple of times when we've tested it has got further than this but usually it stops here.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful.

Regards Andy

78 Posts

November 10th, 2009 15:00

Hey Andy!

I am not Support but we can try to help. Wha PowerSnap module are you using? Is it for CLARiiON, SYMM or NAS (Clerra or NetApp)? Also if you can give a few details about your envieonment it may help me see better into the issue you are experiencing. Did you install this yourself or did anyone from our Services group help?

Cheers!

Steve

11 Posts

November 10th, 2009 16:00

I use heavily PowerSnap, but on Windows.  Depending on your debug level you may see this message and it is part of discovery process.  Your problem seems to come after that when disk itself is check if it is snapable or not and may be related to technology used beneath the surface (and save sets definition sometimes).  From that point of view, you would need to supply more details for us to be able to help you.

5 Posts

November 11th, 2009 09:00

Steve / Hrvoje

Thanks for your replies.

I have installed without the help of EMC but by following the PowerSnap Module for EMC Symmetrix DMX Installation guide 2.4

The attached file has some information on configuration.

We have noticed that in the Info & Licensing tab on the client configuration, the DMX ID in the Licensed PSPs is the wrong DMX.

The client is also connected to another DMX where we're not using CLONE and this is the DMX that is showing. Is this relevant and if so can anyone tell me how we change it.

Thanks again Andy

1 Attachment

11 Posts

November 11th, 2009 11:00

I would suggest to alter configuration to following:

NSR_DATA_MOVER=proxy server

NSR_SERVER=server

NSR_CLIENT=client

NSR_IMAGE_SAVE=NO

SYMM_SNAP_POOL=C:\Program Files\Legato Systems\Networker 7.3.4\res\symm.res

SYMM_SNAP_REMOTE=FALSE

SYMM_SNAP_TECH=CLONE

SYMM_CLONE_FULL_COPY=TRUE

SYMM_ON_DELETE=RELEASE_RESOURCE

NSR_MCSG_DISABLE_MNTPT_CHECK=YES

NSR_PS_SAVE_PARALLELISM=1

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=symm-dmx

NSR_VERBOSE=TRUE

NSR_RPC_TIMEOUT=180

NSR_PS_DEBUG_LEVEL=5

I do not recall back when I played on Windows, but I believe that space in path for symm snap pool might be an issue as well.  Not sure if I used quotes, / instead of \ or just placed pool file somewhere else where no space was involved in path name.  This might explain what you see given the sid of symm box used.  Nevertheless, check your pool file once again.  I would suggest to use same NW version on both proxy, server and client if possible.

With clones, NSR_RPC_TIMEOUT is something you need if your sync will last more than 10 minutes. 

If that fails, it would be good to attach the logs next time.

5 Posts

November 18th, 2009 10:00

We have decided to not implement Powersnap. Thanks for the help , particularly Hrvoje

Thanks Andy (AHP)

78 Posts

November 18th, 2009 11:00

Thansk Andy and sorry to hear that you will be moving away from it. Can you give us a quick debrief on why you decided to drop it? This way we can consider more enhancments, beyond our current plans, that may make life easier for everyone using it or planning to.

Thanks again,

Steve

No Events found!