Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SR

May 4th, 2011 13:00

Problem backing up. 2 domains multi Vlans

I am having a problem backing up servers in  certain vlan on a second domain. We have multiply vlans on each domin and I can back up on all vlans but one on the second domain. I can ping the Networker server from the server on the vlan that will not back up and I can pink and nslookup the server form the Networker server.

5777:winworkr: Cannot open backup session with ########## "Networker server"

7167:winworkr: backup completion time: 5/3/2011 5:23:54 PM
39078:winworkr: SYSTEM error: client `30.170.###.### is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server

This is one of the errors I receive when I try to back up on a test server I built on the VLAN in question.  If I move the server to a different VLAN on the SAME domain it works perfect.

I can set the networker server as either IP or DNS Name and it fails.

Also on the windwos 2000 boxes on this VLAN we get the below errors

---------------------------

NetWorker User

Server `167.99.###.###  servername servername.maindomain.org': Host name verification failed - unknown host: 30.170.###.###, please check reverse lookup entry for this machine on your name server

OK

abandoned

:  Unable to execute savefs job on host Servername.SecondDomain.local: Program not registered

Any help or Idea to try would be grateful.

May 4th, 2011 14:00

I know everything on the server seems correct because if I move it to a different VLAN on the same secondary domain it will back up perfect.  The test boxes are Server 2008 but anything on this one VLAN will not back up with Networker. I can not move the servers currently located on it off due the amount of users accessing it. I can do a NSlookup on my laptop or the networker server that is on our main domain with the testservername.seconddomain.local and resolve the correct IP.

14.3K Posts

May 5th, 2011 06:00

My clients usually have up to 6 VLANs (and they are almost all domain for itself).  Your issue is routing which depending from where requests comes does require different IPs to be listed in alias list.  Let's take a look at first example you list:

5777:winworkr: Cannot open backup session with ########## "Networker server"

7167:winworkr: backup completion time: 5/3/2011 5:23:54 PM
39078:winworkr: SYSTEM error: client `30.170.###.### is not properly configured on the NetWorker Server

This is one of the errors I receive when I try to back up on a test server I built on the VLAN in question.  If I move the server to a different VLAN on the SAME domain it works perfect.

Your client, requires name associated with IP 30.170.XXX.XXX to be in alias list.  Now, this might no be possible to be resolved on server for example due to different domain and DNS structure so you simply add this in /etc/hosts and then to alias list.

Second one:

NetWorker User

Server `167.99.###.###  servername servername.maindomain.org': Host name verification failed - unknown host: 30.170.###.###, please check reverse lookup entry for this machine on your name server

abandoned

:  Unable to execute savefs job on host Servername.SecondDomain.local: Program not registered

Again, IP 30.170.XXX.XXX needs to be known and defined to server.   I would suggest the same for server (even in theory it might work with IPs, but if you dig a bit into debug mode you will learn that you're wasting all those getnamebyip calls.  Again, modify /etc/hosts where DNS resolution across domains is not possible and update NW configuration.  That should get you going.

May 5th, 2011 07:00

Thank you for your response. I will try this and let you know. what I don't get is I am able to backup the test server on a different vlan on the same secondary domain and it is only one vlan giving me problems. I am able to do NSLOOKUP from both the Networker server and the test client for each other and resolve the correct IP.  Also, I am able to RDP from the test client to the Netwoker server and vice versa.

Do you want me to modify the host file on the networker server or the client or both?

14.3K Posts

May 6th, 2011 02:00

You can do both.

No Events found!