Vishnuaabe
1 Copper

Query about directive

In my shop I have networker 8.2 and I using a directive to skip the Y drive globally from clients backup, but whenever the backup runs it shows me the entry for Y drive with 4 bytes of data in it.

This is the content of my directive

<<Y:\>>

skip :.

Some one please suggest why I am getting the entry for the Y drive in the backup.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
bingo.1
4 Tellurium

Re: Query about directive

It works as designed. Today, there is no more difference between the 'null' and the 'skip' directive.

From the 'uasm' manpage/command reference:

skip

The skip ASM does not back up the specified files and directories, and does not place

the filename in the online index of the parent directory. If a file with skip directive is specified as the save set to be backed up, an empty save set (typically shown in ’mminfo -v’ query as ’4 B’ in size) is created in media index for information but the save set will not contain any recoverable data.

In very old NW versions, there was in fact a difference. From the NW 5.5 'uasm' manpage:

skip

The skip ASM does not back up the specified  files  and directories,  and  does  not  place the filename in the online index of the parent directory.

null

The null ASM does not back up the specified  files  and directories,  but  keeps  the  file  name in the online index of the parent directory.

0 Kudos
Vishnuaabe
1 Copper

Re: Query about directive

Thanks bingo,

0 Kudos