Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2014 16:00

Recover failed "Required volumes is off-line"

Hi,

We have a EMC Data Domain and running Networker Windows client version 8.0.1.1

When we tried to recover data from a server. It pop up a Windows warning message "Required volumes are not all online"  I clicked OK to proceed the recovery anyway. But the recovery failed with the following message...

53365 winworkr. NSR server 'Server' busy

71739 winworkr Warning: Required volume 'xxxx.001''s status is off-line

71740 winworkr: Waiting 30 seconds then retrying

I tried to chagne different date to recovery but all still getting the same error.  Anyone knows what is the problem and what can we do to fix it?

14.3K Posts

May 14th, 2014 17:00

Check to see if your volume is mounted in NetWorker.

14.3K Posts

May 14th, 2014 17:00

Check to see if volume is mounted.  When it is not mounted it is seen as offline.

7 Posts

May 14th, 2014 20:00

Hi,

Where I can find the volume is mounted or not? The Window backup server has Networker User 8.0.1.1 and Networker Management Console. From Networker Administration/Media button/Disk Volumes/  I see the volume and it is in "appendable" mode.

7 Posts

May 14th, 2014 21:00

Followed your tips and found it. It is UNMOUNT and the Volume name column field is empty. But got error message when I right click to mount it.  Error "Monitor device operation in progress on xxxxxxxx volume"   The volume is Enable.

Anyway to try to mount it and restore data?

Thanks in advance.

7 Posts

What does DD mean? But other volumes are mount successfully. In fact, I have been trying to mount the volume since 8 hours ago but still getting the same error message....

2.4K Posts

In the NW Admin GUI, select the Devices window.

Then select Devices in the resource tree.

Make sure that you see the Volume name column in the device list.

Only if the volume is mounted, you will see the label in this column.

Be careful when you mount the 'device' via the right click menu. Do not accidentally label it!

2.4K Posts

I have seen such as well.

Ensure that your DD is o.k. I remember this might happen on earlier releases if a disk failed.

The problem will go away but i cannot tell you exactly when. I suggest you retry in about 30 mins.

If nothing helps at all, you must restart Networker.

2.4K Posts

DD is of course short for Data Domain. Sorry.

14.3K Posts

May 15th, 2014 01:00

There seems to be an issue either with nsrmmd or that device - most likely nsrmmd. If you environment is not busy, quick win is to restart it.  I suspect something must have happened to that device and that triggered device to be unmounted in the first place. If this is device on backup server then I assume this is Windows... there is no easy way (at least top of my head) to find PID of affected nsrmmd to kill it - otherwise that would be first step.

I would suggest to do things in controlled manner:

- first stop restore if it is still running or trying to get volume

- check logs with reference to that device/volume to see why it got into the issue

- check system logs around time when this device was reported last time for activity (both storage node and DD)

- if possible, restart NW and see if that clears the issue (if this is application error it will work, but if this has been caused from outside then it won't - I suspect that's not the case as I would expect other devices to be affected then)

No Events found!