Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2012 15:00

Recovering data from an old tape

I tried searching the forums but didn't see anything recent.  We rebuilt our Networker server about 6 months ago and we didn't convert over the indexes.  Now I need to do a restore from a tape that's a year old that was backed up on the old system.  I ordered the tapes from our offsite storage and won't have them until tomorrow so I thought I'd do some research first.  Some of the older posts I saw mentioned doing a scanner -i \\.\tape0 or an mminfo command to read the data but those posts were 3-6 years old. 

I was hoping I would just be able to load the tapes into our library, right click them and do an inventory to get them into the index, but now I'm second guessing myself after seeing the older posts.  Is there a recomended procedure or documentation on doing a restore of this nature?  It doesn't seem that it would be that uncommon but I haven't been able to find anything that seems current.

We're running Networker 7.62 on a Windows 2008 R2 server.  The backup from a year ago was done on a Networker 7.6 server.

544 Posts

April 10th, 2012 17:00

Hi Sam,
After loading the tape to your jukebox, You have two options, both are with the scanner command, and based on your requirments : 

1- For a browsable recovery (using winworkr GUI) you need to rebuild both the media database entries, and the client file index entries. This will take longer to scan.       

scanner -i device_name

Example: scanner -i  \\.\Tape0

2- If a browsable recovery is not necessary and a save set recovery will sufficent, it is quicker to scan entries into only the media database.       

scanner -m device_name

Example: scanner -m  \\.\Tape0

After that you will be able to perform either browsable or save set recovery.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

17 Posts

April 11th, 2012 03:00

Great, I'll give that a shot!  I'll follow up if I have any more questions.

August 24th, 2016 15:00

Hi all, I could help me to make a recovery from tape? the program I'm using is the EMC NetWorker (the tape has already been inserted) I would like your support.

thanks.

Capture01.JPG.jpg

I have always done since the "recovery" option but I am informed that since that option is only recovered from backup hard disk and not tape.

2.4K Posts

August 24th, 2016 19:00

This statement is simply wrong - NW will not care about the backup media at all.

Just use mminfo and verify a tape save set, then run the recover wizard and restore it to a temp pathname.

No Events found!