Highlighted
dangapinski
1 Nickel

Recovering with no client

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am brand new to using Networker, and inherited a v. 8 server with a bunch of expired tapes. With a lot of reading, I was able to make the expired savesets browseable (yay!), but am getting this error when I recover a few files: "No matching devices on 'server' for recover by client 'clientname'"

The server is the original server, but I had to use a different tape library (old one doesn't work anymore). The client doesn't exist anymore. I read in another discussion (https://community.emc.com/thread/119521?tstart=0 ) that I'd need to make a dummy client, but I am not sure how.

Is there another way to recover a few files without the client present?

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wlee4
2 Iron

Re: Recovering with no client

Jump to solution

I see 2 devices. One is the \\.\Tape#### (correct path to the new library) and the other device is the serverfqdn:\\.\Tape#### path

Since both drives are the server drives... this seems to be a tape drive configuration issue.  Because of this confusion, this could be the reason why NetWorker is unable to find a device to use to read the tape.

I had to use a different tape library (old one doesn't work anymore).

Is the old tape library still defined in NetWorker?  Is it still connected?  Is the new tape library defined and configured in NetWorker?

Required volume [tape barcode]'s status is near-line

near-line usually means that NetWorker has access to the tape, but it is unable to find a free device to load and mount the tape onto.  What type of tape media is this?  Do you currently have a tape drive that supports loading and reading this type of media?

Suggestion.

1. stop all NetWorker services, and then make a backup copy of nsr\res amd  nsr\mm directories
  2. confirm that the NetWorker tape library (aka jukebox) is configured correctly.  If you are not sure, consider deleting the jukebox and drives, and then use NetWorker to scan for new hardware, and then configure the existing jukebox.
  3. verify which volume you need to recover from.
  4. To protect the data, you should consider setting the tape cartridge write protect tab, and also in NetWorker set the volume as read only and manual recycle
  5. Try manually loading the tape into the tape drive
  6. If the load is successful, then try the recovery

Even though you are running NetWorker 8.0.2, this is a recovery issue, so you can try to open a support ticket for assistance with the recovery.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
bingo.1
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Just create an valid name entry in the hosts file. After that you will be able to create the client resource.

And do not forget that you might have enabled your pool for certain devices. Of course the ones not selected here are automatically disabled.

dangapinski
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response Bingo!

I have a valid entry name in hosts for this backup server. I also have a hosts entry for the dummy client (named as the old client), which pings ok.

OK, now I have a slightly different error:

53365:winworkr:NSR server 'serverfqdn': no matching devices on 'server'

71739:winworkr:Warning: Required volume [tape barcode]'s status is near-line

71740:winworkr:Waiting 30 seconds and then retrying

This tape is reloaded and if I look at the Management Console under the servers, I see 2 devices. One is the \\.\Tape#### (correct path to the new library) and the other device is the serverfqdn:\\.\Tape#### path

not sure where to take this - I still need help. Thanks for your time

0 Kudos
dangapinski
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I should clarify that this message ("53365:winworkr:NSR server 'serverfqdn': no matching devices on 'server'"), 'serverfqdn' is a real fqdn to the backup server. Where the message says 'server', I did not translate - it merely says that. So I'm not sure where to look at 'server' to find its devices.

0 Kudos
bingo.1
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Look at your client's recover storage node list and add the appropriate entry here.

Also verify whether you have restricted the pool for special/other devices.

0 Kudos
dangapinski
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

being new to this, I want to make sure my terminology is right. (A line from one of my favorite video games: "Pretend you're talking to a small and perhaps a very stupid child.")

OK in the Recovery storage node for the client (that I'm trying to recover data for), I added the backup server fqdn. No change when I started restoring. I will try using just the backup server hostname and see what happens

By restricting the pool, do you mean if I have any libraries checked in the config? I do not. I will try checking and see what happens.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
dangapinski
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Fail on both things that I tried - i.e., same error when I change the client's recovery storage node to just the backup server hostname (not FQDN) and checking the tape drive in the pools. Any other thoughts? Here are images of my config, if it helps:

client1.png

client2.png

client3.png

client4.png

client5.png

client6.png

client7.png

0 Kudos
dangapinski
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

[bump] - still in great need of help

0 Kudos
bingo.1
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

If you have not defined any device for the pool, your secret is obviously with the 'storage node affinity list" (in the

"globals (2 of 2)" tab):

- Your storage node for the backup is the NW server (nsrserverhost)

- Your storage node for the recovery is "iausbak01". So this is where the NW server expects the media to be mounted.

If you delete this entry, you should be able to mount wherever a compatible device is available.

dangapinski
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I really do appreciate your sticking with me on this problem!

I hate to say it, but that's not it. If I remove the server from the client's storage node for recovery, then I get the same no matching devices on 'server' error. I also tried further removing the tape drive being checked in the pool properties, to no change as well.  Anything else you might suggest? I will post screens as they stand now in a few minutes

0 Kudos