Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2017 06:00

Recovery process of full Linux System (Redhat) using Networker Backup

Hi,

I was having a Redhat Linux Client in my Networker backup environment. Suddenly that Linux box crashed and I want to restore that server with some previous backup.

We are already having valid backup for all the FS.

Already our OS team rebuild a same dummy server with same name, ip, FS list. Networker client is been installed and also test recovery for few files are verified.

Now could you please guide me so that how can we restore the entire server as like before crashing. Do we have to follow any special instruction to restore entire OS or we can simply restore all the FS along with / and then can reboot the machine.

Thanks & Regards,

Shubhadip Datta

14.3K Posts

September 5th, 2017 01:00

Just do cd / and add * and that's it.  After that call for recover.  To make add process faster (as it goes through index) you can use add -q which will do it in quiet way without showing every individual file on screen to be restored.

September 7th, 2017 03:00

Thanks Hrvoje for your inputs.

I did the same for one of the Linux box. But system didn't came up after the reboot.

I am just confused whether I need to do /boot also ?

Thanks & Regards,

Shubhadip Datta

96 Posts

September 7th, 2017 09:00

Hello.

I would recover /etc. Then I would inspect /etc/fstab to see if it is necessary to create some specifics mount points. Then, I would recreate FS structure according to fstab.

Finally, I would recover /var, /opt, /usr, /home, /root, and other FS indicated in fstab (not /).

14.3K Posts

September 7th, 2017 12:00

We do this regularly and so far we didn't had issues, but setups may vary.  When you connect to console where does it fail? I assume it may be something with disk mapping so key question is if what you restore is the same as you have it now.

12 Posts

September 18th, 2017 06:00

You can safely ignore /dev, which will get rebuilt and will give you headache with LVM.

Also make sure to modify /etc/fstab, as it may send you to safe boot if it is looking for a device that no longer exists.

I usually do this and backup/restore everything else.

No Events found!