Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 26th, 2021 05:00

Restore browsable save set to different host via CLI

Hello again guys,

I am trying to recover a folder within a saveset that was previously in expired state. I brought it to browsable state but still couldn't browse it from NMC (both NMc and networker servers are  v19.1.1.1) so I am trying to do it from CLI.

The source server (serverA) is no longer existing so I have to redirect the restore to another server (networker-server)

from networker server I execute

> recover -c serverA -R networker-server -iR

but when I run pwd or display I see that I am inside the networker-server. how can I browse the client that I want to restore from but still redirect to different destination server. What are the right options to use?

thank you

June 7th, 2021 03:00

regardless of using nmc or an interactive recover (using recover cli), for regular recoveries would have to use the client index. so if the NMC doesn't show any entries to recover, then interactive cli recover wouldn't show anything either.

as you didn't tell how you made the saveset browsable again, nor showed that it actually is browsable again, it is difficult for other to help out. if it is browasable, it should show up files to recover, regardless in nmc or in interactive recover.

so if interactive recover only would show the nw server and nothing about the client, what is the output that recover shows when initiating the recover? it would give already some information while initiating the recover command.

some mminfo output showing the ssflags setting of the ssid in question? for normal ssid's it would state "vF" (Valid and Finished), while for ssid's that do not have an index it might show "vrF" (Valid, purged(Recoverable), Finshed). purged (Recovarable) meaning there is no client index for it and only a saveset recovery would be still possible but no client index based recovery (unless you'd made the index available again for that ssid, that is).

from the mminfo man page:
ssflags  NA 7 The save set flags summary, one or more
characters in the set CvrENiRPKIFk, for
continued, valid, purged (recoverable),
eligible for recycling, NDMP generated,
incomplete, raw (not for save sets backed up
using rawasm), snapshot, cover,
in-progress and finished (ended),
checkpoint restart enabled,
respectively.

2.4K Posts

May 26th, 2021 06:00

The command line help for the recover command will help.

You will find even more details in the Command Line Reference.

BTW - you must not necessarily recover the index - this is time intensive. Just recover the whole save set to a temp directory and get your files from here. Then delete the temp directory. And you must not specify the client as this is done by the ssid.

Of course this only works if the client runs under the same OS family as the NW server.

34 Posts

June 12th, 2021 08:00

Thank you for the idea but the problem is that the save set is so huge in size that's why I want to recover just the folder (which I don't know the exact path also otherwise I would ve used -a with -S )

34 Posts

June 12th, 2021 08:00

Sorry it has been a while that I ve worked on that issue and I didn't have the chance to read your replies earlier. I am not sure if I ve used scanner -i or nsrck -L7 .. but with mminfo I could see the flag became cb. But otherwise thank you really for these rich information you posted, sure it'll be helpful for future use cases.

No Events found!