8 Krypton

Restoring Exchange Backups

Jump to solution

I was asked today to restore an exchange mailbox which is normally not a problem. However, today i ran into an issue with browse/retention time.

My browse time is setup to 30 days.  My retention is 3 months. I can't seem to find the backups past the first month to restore. Maybe i configured the backups wrong?  With my non-exchange servers i understand that only 1 month is browsable and you can restore individual files. Anything past the month browse time i can restore the full backup and then grab a file.  Maybe i wrong in thinking exchange worked this way?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Re: Restoring Exchange Backups

Jump to solution

Any module backup (except SAP, but even there it depends on configuration), requires browse time to be available for restore when using client DB API.  In your case, you could restore index back in time and make ssid browsable again and thus restore it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Any module backup (except SAP, but even there it depends on configuration), requires browse time to be available for restore when using client DB API.  In your case, you could restore index back in time and make ssid browsable again and thus restore it.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Thanks Hrvoje,

I understand your solution for the problem i have now but going forward i should set my browse time to match the retention time correct?  For Exchange backups that is. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Yes, that is correct.