Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2008 06:00

Running Networker Client as non-root under Linux RedHat

Hi,

Our client is quite rigorous about running 3rd party software not delivered by RedHat. They don't want to run anything with root privileges. I tried to start the nsrexecd as a non-root user but it said "You are not authorized to run this command".

I assume it not recommended or even supported that the Networker Software runs as non-root user?

Bartosz Maruszewski

194 Posts

December 16th, 2008 10:00

Bartosz,

NetWorker client has to run as root. Think about it, how do you expect any backup software to back up a Linux/UNIX server as non-root.

Tell your client that NetWorker is a popular backup package that runs on many many Red Hat servers (and I'm one of them).

Vic

10 Posts

December 16th, 2008 14:00

Well. I'm fully aware of the technical side and issues of permissions for example. I know it's strange when one doesn't want to run a common SW as root but you know the clients... "This are our conditions. Period." And then go and explain it...

My question is pure technological: is Networked able to run as non-root user and function correctly except for files it cannot access? Looking at the message I got it seems there is a hardcoded test if running as root. But it might be a permission issue in the configuration of the Networked Server software...

Bartosz Maruszewski

443 Posts

December 16th, 2008 15:00

The networker client daemons will run only as the root user. This is a check that is coded into the binary. As far as I know, there is no work around for this.

443 Posts

December 16th, 2008 15:00

NetWorker requires to run as root. As far as I know, it cannot run as a non root id. As you put it, it's hard coded in the binaries.
No Events found!