Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 31st, 2007 05:00

SAP restore

I am witnessing a very strange query today regarding Online SAP backup.

One customer regularly takes online SAP backup using SAP module and restores it on a different server using Networker User.

I do not know how does that happen. There is no file system backup of this SAP client.

I am being asked to restore two such data files which are not now visible in Networker User.

It is possible that onlien backup is visible under Networker User and you can restore it as you restore a File System.

14.3K Posts

January 31st, 2007 07:00

You can do ssid restore depending on setup in your util file. Otherwise use brrestore (SapDBA or BrGUI depending on SAP version).

724 Posts

January 31st, 2007 06:00

I did not have time yet to see how SAP module works, but yes, you can restore some files backed up by SAP using Networker User.

I do not know if all the files are avaliable, but there are a lot of them.

2K Posts

January 31st, 2007 07:00

SAPDBA & br utils is OK.

But is it supported to restore backups taken using online module and using Networker User for restoration.

The admin. guides do not even refer to Networker User while mentioning. I was just trying to locate some document on this.

14.3K Posts

January 31st, 2007 08:00

I really can't see how that can be done as they should use different namespace so backup user should not see it. I know you can do ssid restore, but I never heard anyone doing it with recover or user user GUI.

74 Posts

February 4th, 2007 11:00

Anuj,

I have never seen or done this before, but can it be there is a specific networker user for SAP in the networker module for sap like there is for MSExchange and MSSQL?

Xander

2K Posts

February 5th, 2007 01:00

I understand that and in SAP you restore online data using SAPDBA or brtools.

The customer wants to backup online data of one server and restore it on another server without making the restored data online i.e. backup online of Server A, restore offline on Server B.

2K Posts

February 21st, 2007 23:00

If we want to restore using Save Set based recovery, it shows a long list of Save Sets.

If we need to restore the complete thing,w e need to do this one by one since none of the save set entries shows what files are backed up under this and you cannot do a multiple selection for a Save Set recovery.

14.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2007 01:00

You can see from brbackup log what files are where.

56 Posts

March 2nd, 2007 04:00

Files backuped with SAP-module can be restored via Networker User/nwrecover or from command line with recover-utility. Key point here is set browse time to correct value which is completion time of the online backup. All data files are definitely visible and recoverable without brtools. If target host has no SAP-module software/proper licencing this is the only way to restore

Start NW User/recover on target server like this:
-winworkr/recover/nwrecover -s "backup server" -c "host you want to restore from".
-set browse time->you can find it from log file which is usually located on /oracle/SID/sapbackup directory.
-add files to restore
-set the target directory
-set force option if target directory/filesystem exists and have some old data. Better solution is remove all existing data.

I have done this numerous times on windows and different unix-platforms. Trickiest part is to restore needed archive logs. If there is lot of logs to restore save-set recovery is fastest and easiest way.

March 17th, 2015 23:00

As per your comment "You can do ssid restore depending on setup in your util file. Otherwise use brrestore (SapDBA or BrGUI depending on SAP version"

What is the special setup required in util file to make the SSID  Database restore from Networker User.

I am using normal util file from /etc copied as SSIDuti in the same location where the brtools are.

Please let me know changes to be made in the util file for restore.

14.3K Posts

March 18th, 2015 14:00

You need to use ssNameFormat = old (if you use new, then you can kiss goodbye ssid restore).

No Events found!