Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

5 Posts

August 15th, 2019 05:00

Same group runs different level backups and data sent to different volumes

Is the following scenario possible in Networker 9 or higher. Where I have been pushed to create 2 Groups, 2 Workflows, 2 Actions to achieve this task. Having too many resources created will make administration & monitoring task tedious. I need to achieve this without having a clone job. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Scenario: With Networker 8 or lesser versions: One Group with 10 clients - Runs Monday to Saturday Incremental and Sunday Full backup - Where I can have Incremental data to be written to Incremental Pool tapes and Full backup to be written to Full Pool tapes.

2.4K Posts

August 15th, 2019 06:00

Are you still running backups to tape? - Here it was a good idea to separate fulls from other level backups.

With backup-to-disk such does not really make sense any more.

The new policy/workflow concept intends to select a specific pool (I want to store my backups here!) but you can still use the old scheme. If you want to do this, you must specify the action property 'Client Override Behavior' to 'Client Can Override' as shown below:

example.jpg

Once again - I would only (still) use it if I do tape backups.

5 Posts

August 15th, 2019 07:00

Thanks for your reply. Still, If we change Client Override Behavior we'll be able to send data only to one Pool which is selected in the client properties.

Whereas in Networker old versions, By having only one client definition for a single client configured in one group, we can control the different level of back data sent to different volumes through Media Pool setting by selecting Data Source - Groups and Selection Criteria - Levels.

2.4K Posts

August 15th, 2019 08:00

To understand what really happens, it would be good to have some details handy and not just discussing things theoretically.

2.4K Posts

August 15th, 2019 13:00

I just verified that you cannot even create a pool any more which filters by backup level: "NSR Pool levels attribute is deprecated and cannot be created."

This means that you can only succeed if this is an old (NW 8.x) pool and you have upgraded NW.

5 Posts

August 16th, 2019 02:00

Let us ignore all the scenario provided earlier.

If I build a new backup server with Networker 18 and I configure 5 protection groups, each will have 10 clients associated with 5 Workflow and 5 Action under 1 Policy. I have set Client Can Override Behavior on Actions. Each client definitions has Schedule of Monday to Saturday Incremental backups and Sunday Full backups and Pool selected as LTO7_INCR.

With this configurations both level (Full & Incr) backup data will go to the same tapes LTO7_INCR.

My requirement is Full backup data should go to LTO7_FULL & Incremental backup data should go to LTO7_INCR.

2.4K Posts

August 16th, 2019 03:00

As i mentioned earlier - NW does not even allow you to select the level as a selection for a pool.

'Client can override' will only work if such pool already existed before you upgraded to NW 9 and higher.

Otherwise I do not see any solution but configuring 2 workflows/actions, each using a different pool.

5 Posts

August 16th, 2019 06:00

Yes, I have to create 2 Groups, 2 Workflows, 2 Actions to have same set of clients to send their Incremental & Full backup data to different volumes. In small environments it is Okay, but in large environment where we have 3000+ clients, I have to create double the amount of groups, workflows and actions.

2.4K Posts

August 16th, 2019 07:00

I understand your point. But I cannot solve it. I am not a developer.

I hope that in such large environments, you will backup to disk. From here you can still clone/stage to a pool of your choice. If you do it properly (my personal favorite: sripted cloning), this would also result in the fact, that the multiplexed tape save sets will be consolidated - one by one. Optimal for restores as you will avoid to read/pass tape blocks which belong to other save sets.

5 Posts

August 19th, 2019 02:00

Thanks for your suggestions.

No Events found!