8 Krypton

Re: Savesets not expiring - the retention time is invalid

We saw this issue at my last company after upgrading for 7.3.3 to 7.4.3 and this problem seems to date back to an upgrade here; it is possible to get the dates back to "normal dates" by doing this:

nsrmm -w "day" -e "different (later) day" -S ssid

If the dates are the same it will do strange stuff still!
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The visible savesets on this tape are all confirmed as expired now after the nsrmm fix. However this tape still does not recycle after nsrim and still reports:

A92944: 45 GB used, 67 save sets, read-only, 9 browsable save sets, 58 recyclable save sets

We still have the issue of the "9 browsable save sets" which are not returned by mminfo.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I'm not really expecting to see a resolution on this one as its stuck with one of EMC's muppets who regards cutting and pasting my case notes back to me in a different order 3 weeks later is a valid response! What I will add though is that these "ghost savesets" do get cleared down by nsrim over a period of time. We also don't seem to have any of these tapes around anymore though what was responsible is a mystery as we have had no major changes recently. I still have a concern that this data may be valid backup data that may not be visible by the recover command but whether we actually get a response on this one I don't know. If anyone has a similar problem and has a little more joy with EMC's support I would be grateful to hear more of it.
0 Kudos
pmassa
1 Nickel

I would suggest you try this.

nsrim -D 9 -vvvv -V <volume> and review the output.

Putting into debug with verbosity will give you additional information such as dependencies.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi David,

Please run the following mminfo command.
mminfo -q "client=s-cpp-cmfe01.net1.cec.eu.int" -ot -r volume,savetime,ssretent,level,clretent,ssflags,name

These save sets seem to be VSS:\ as indicated by K in ssflags output.
Are you using snapshot backups? If yes is it hardware or software snapshots?

This is a known issue with NMMedi and NMM. The retention date being 2038 is normal and by design (explained in LGTsc31359). However, these save sets should be expired and recycled after either the snapset or the rolled over version expire whichever comes last. But, in some cases this is not happening and an escalation has been opened and still in progress to address this - LGTsc31479.

Regards...
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

That's a good idea Paul. If I have any media/savesets still in this state I'll take a look at the output
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi Parviz, do you have a description of LGTsc31359/LGTsc31479 as a search on Powerlink returns nothing...

Whilst some of these tapes have had NMM with snapshots savesets on them there is nothing conclusive in them being NMM savesets as nothing is returned from mminfo. However I have seen the 2038 problem in my last company (actually it may not be the same problem as it was a 2044 problem) that did not use NMM.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi David,
These are internal engineering escalations and you will not find them on PowerLink. Please review the following article for further explanation.

http://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg106764

I am not sure what you mean by ¿nothing is returned from mminfo¿. The mminfo command should output same information you extracted before plus the name of the save set that will confirm whether or not these are VSS:\ save sets.

Regards,
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Sorry Parviz, I'm getting mixed up with a second issue I have seen where volumes do not expire because they have savesets unlisted by the mminfo command but recognised by the nsrim command. However those savesets seem to have eventually expired and no new occurences have yet been found.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I couldn't access that link either.
0 Kudos