Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2013 07:00

Scanner -im on large number of tape.

Hi,

i'm migrating my NetWorker server to hp-ux enviroment to a windows enviroment, so the only way to port the media and the index database in the new server is to do "scanner -im" on all my olt tape.

There is a best practice to do this? i've tried to script this proceture but i've encountred some error:

1- when the scanner finish read a tape ask to inser the next tape of the unfinished savesets instead of exit an return the prompt.

2- while scannig some tapes i receive the following errors:

8829:scanner: (ssid 3764450080) index error, store failed

The operation completed successfully.

83622:scanner: (ssid 3764450080) index error, cannot continue. Aborting

83623:scanner: (ssid 3764450080) index error, failed to store index records

8831:scanner: (ssid 3764450080) error decoding save stream

8767:scanner: write failed, Broken pipe

3- if i launch more than one scan at the same time (using different drives) i receive some "already open file" error.

At the end, there is a way for scan automatically a big number of tapes and to do this by using several devices at the same time?

Lorenzo

14.3K Posts

April 15th, 2013 07:00

Probably not if using same index space.  I never tried that, but it seems to be the case that you see here under 3).

1) can be addressed with -z switch - see manual for scanner.

2) I don't know, but perhaps this is NDMP data which can't be scanned for index name space (that's where it fails).

445 Posts

April 15th, 2013 08:00

Maol,

You can export the media Database to an .xdr format file and import onto the Windows server – this will mean you do not have to use scanner.

Also for the Indexes you can recover these from media after the NetWorker server has been ported over.

There is a Section within the NetWorker Procedure Generator which deals with DR and also Cross server migration – so please download and look at this. I also think there is a paper on this available in the Documentation section on ONE EMC.

Regards,

Bill Mason

15 Posts

April 15th, 2013 08:00

There is no NDMP data, but tanks for the -z switch, i was looking in an old manual.

Lorenzo

15 Posts

April 15th, 2013 09:00

I’ve looked in the NetWorker Procedure Generator but it assumes that the OS in the source and in the target server is the same.

I’m migrating between hp ux and windows.

Are you sure that I can export the media database under HPUX and then import the db under windows?

Do you knows the procedure to do that?

Tanks

Lorenzo

Da: William Mason

Inviato: lunedì 15 aprile 2013 17.20

A: Lorenzo Mao

Oggetto: New message: "Scanner -im on large number of tape."

EMC Community Network

Scanner -im on large number of tape.

reply from William Mason in NetWorker Support Forum - View the full discussion

445 Posts

April 16th, 2013 01:00

Lorenzo,

Apologies for the NetWorker Procedure Generator – I thought this was covered in there and it’s not.

There is a document available within the Support.emc.com called “Cross-Platform Migration of the NetWorker Server ” which should help you.

Also from my last post - Index recovery will not work as the path is not understood – we are in the process of amending this within the document currently so a copy using a file transfer software is required between the two servers.

As for the Media Database you can export this to an .xdr file which can be imported onto another OS without issue. To do this you would use the following commands: -

Cd to the mm dir within the Networker installation.

nsrmmdbasm -s mmvolume6 > mmdb.xdr Create file somewhere else if space is limited in the file system.

On new server cd to mm dir: -

nsrmmdbasm -r -2 < mmdb.xdr

NOTE: NetWorker software is running when these commands are run. I am also assuming path is set up for the NetWorker bin directory on your system, if not just add path to nsrmmdbasm

You can test this prior to the migration for reassurance and use mminfo command to compare results from current and test system, but I have used this many times in my role to look at Customer Media Database issues.

You can also engage EMC Professional Services to assist with the planning and migration if required. If you need this please contact your local EMC Account Manager, if you do not know who this is let us know and we can arrange for someone to contact you.

Regards,

Bill Mason

15 Posts

April 16th, 2013 05:00

Hi, i've do the migration of the media database. it work!

One last question:

what is the correct way to recover the index database from the media?

Lorenzo

445 Posts

April 16th, 2013 10:00

Lorenzo,

Glad to here the MDB can be recovered to the new server.

As for the Indexes you cannot use NetWorker recovery to do this as it cannot handle recovering to a different file system/structure. The best way to do this is to use some type of file transfer software to get the files over. This type of software can usually handle this type of thing but you obviously need network connectivity between the two.

Other things to look out for is to try and keep the same name/IP address as this will make things a lot easier.

Bill Mason

No Events found!