Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

336 Posts

August 8th, 2018 08:00

Separate physical network for backup?

This is a general question rather than a product-specific one, so I'm not really sure where to put it. I'd like to ask the question of the Avamar, Networker, and Data Domain communities.

To give you some context, at present we have two physically separate (i.e. separate cables to separate NICs on our servers) networks - one for production data and the other for backup data. We are looking at consolidating everything into just one physical network, but we'd like to see whether others are doing the same. If we can point to a whole lot of companies and other educational institutions that don't use a physically separate network (I don't mean separate VLANs) for backup then it will give our request a lot more weight in the eyes of management.

So, to those of you who are responsible for such things, do you use physically separate networks for production and backup data?

Thanks.

155 Posts

August 9th, 2018 10:00

I have seen people segregating network to avoid slowness on their critical server, whats your big reason for aggregating them.

Bit confused with physically separate network for Backup.

336 Posts

August 9th, 2018 11:00

A physically separate backup network is a good idea when you need to avoid flooding the public/production network with backup data. However, with deduplication and such technologies nowadays, the amount of backup data that actually gets pushed over a network has reduced a lot, plus networks are a lot faster now than they used to be, so a separate network no longer has the same advantage. Plus it doubles the amount of physical infrastructure (cables and such) and complicates network management.

No Events found!